Asus Debuts New Transformer Pad Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Tegra 3 was a big disappointment...
It'll be interesting to see how T4 performs though.
Also, do they really need 72 cores to match the performance of a tripe/quad core SGX/adreno gpu?

Nightraptor1475

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
Here is what I want in a tablet
- 8 - 9 - inch size class (7 inches on my Nook seems too small and my mom's Ipad seems too big - if I want something that big I'll get a laptop or a convertible so it can double as my laptop)
- Nice IPS screen (or comparable). Quite frankly 720p (1080p would be nice, but not at extra expense) would be fine for my applications, but it needs to have decent contrast and color accuracy.
- AMD 3.9W Temash processor (slight battery life hit, but wipes the floor with Atom)
- Full Windows 8.1
- Price of $299
If Microsoft/AMD/Partners could come up with something like that it would be something I would actually consider buying as a nice auxiliary to my other systems for throwing in a carry-on to take on a trip or get on the web while sitting on a couch or even plug into a TV (HDMI out is a must) to watch Netflix or something. My other dream system would be this
- 13.3 inch convertible tablet
- Core i5/i7 Haswell processor
- Keyboard dock with additional battery to make into a laptop
- Desktop dock with Thunderbolt 2 and external graphics
I honestly would probably rarely use this in tablet mode, but it would be nice to have the ability. The thing that would be really nice would be to be able to get rid of my desktop and still have enough graphics to game and then disconnect from the desktop dock and have a thin and light laptop. I think Thunderbolt 2 could allow this (at least at 1080p high settings).

Nightraptor1475

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
Here is what I want in a tablet
- 8 - 9 - inch size class (7 inches on my Nook seems too small and my mom's Ipad seems too big - if I want something that big I'll get a laptop or a convertible so it can double as my laptop)
- Nice IPS screen (or comparable). Quite frankly 720p (1080p would be nice, but not at extra expense) would be fine for my applications, but it needs to have decent contrast and color accuracy.
- AMD 3.9W Temash processor (slight battery life hit, but wipes the floor with Atom)
- Full Windows 8.1
- Price of $299
If Microsoft/AMD/Partners could come up with something like that it would be something I would actually consider buying as a nice auxiliary to my other systems for throwing in a carry-on to take on a trip or get on the web while sitting on a couch or even plug into a TV (HDMI out is a must) to watch Netflix or something. My other dream system would be this
- 13.3 inch convertible tablet
- Core i5/i7 Haswell processor
- Keyboard dock with additional battery to make into a laptop
- Desktop dock with Thunderbolt 2 and external graphics
I honestly would probably rarely use this in tablet mode, but it would be nice to have the ability. The thing that would be really nice would be to be able to get rid of my desktop and still have enough graphics to game and then disconnect from the desktop dock and have a thin and light laptop. I think Thunderbolt 2 could allow this (at least at 1080p high settings).

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Just how long a 4K video do you expect to store in 32Gb of storage? How many 1-2Gb Gameloft titles can i store on there? not many... We need a minimum of 128Gb like Apple provide on the iPad. SD cards are not the answer as you can't store program's on there. Come on Asus, 32Gb is not good enough!

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Seriously considering, what do I need with a tablet/laptop?
(1) read stuff on the web
(2) write stuff on Word etc.
(3) view massive spreadsheets and do some light office/editing stuff on the go.
(4) view awesome videos
So this machine is a massive win as long as there is good enough office/editing software on Andy Jelly Bean.

Actually, the 32GB is more than enough for apps. SD cards are the ideal solution for these 4k videos you mentioned (since media files can be stored on them, as opposed to apps). Win-win.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009

I think 32GB is only the base model. The current generation of Transformer Pad Infinity also comes with 64GB model. So I believe there will be 64GB and possibly, 128GB models.
I hope Asus retains the microSD on the pad and USB + SD card slot on the keyboard.

John Hadley

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
This seems really strange. Why have such massive display resolution and yet only 2 GB of RAM, 32 GB of disk space. and apparently no DVD or BluRay player? You have no place to store large high-resolution content so what are you going to do that needs so much screen resolution? Run office applications while looking at the screen with a magnifying glass?

Larry Bob

Honorable
May 26, 2013

Uh, Android is a real OS...

There are still very good office solutions on Android, if that's what you're talking about.

Never seen a bad tablet from Asus. I still have a TF 101 from them and works just as intended.

Dream on, Nancy.
Of course, if this was the next Apple tablet you'd be drooling all over it praising them for their innovations. iFan, you're too easy.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I'd like 1080p or at most 1920x1200 (easier to run movies in 1080p though). Anything above this is wasted gpu power and will slow my games down. Why can't they figure this out. Come back with 1440p etc when we hit 10nm. My desktop gpu can't even do that at 200w+ over 30fps without turning all kinds of crap off. Titan even has to turn some stuff off in more than a few games. Who are the idiots coming up with this spec constantly on tablets? Apple started this crap but even they are far less, though i'm guessing the new model with match everyone else at 2560x1600. The problem is, nobody will be coding mobile games for this res. Hence Shield being at 720p. They should be able to have tons of power to play with adding features/effects etc for that device where others will choke on a res that is useless in mobile. For crying out loud xbox360/ps3 are only 720p! They have 125w-150w to play with. Do the math! OEM's are all stupid these days. People will boot these up in game after game and say T4 is slow, I want something else. When reality is the OEM is retarded, and it has NOTHING to do with the soc. 2560x1600 is above what I plan for my next monitor purchase (1440p most likely may go 2560x1600 we'll see) and that's on a 27 or 30in!

halcyon

Splendid
There will likely be a 64GB version for those that prefer that over an SD card. I can't believe there are actually comments complaining about the screen resolution. Did IQs just drop while I slept last night? Does anyone really feel the iPad's screen resolution is just way too high to be of use? Anywho, this looks to be an appropriate evolution of the original T. Infinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.