News Asus Debuts Wi-Fi 7, Quad-Band Gaming Router

"the new Wi-Fi 7 standard"

Not yet...
Yes I saw that too and had to check that they still have not actually finalized the wifi7 stuff. The stuff I see still says late 2023.

Not unusual the vendors have released prestandard stuff for a while but you would think they would have learned after they got burnt so bad with the 802.11n "draft" stuff.

M0rtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do any of these new routers come with an input for a fiber optic cable ? Most of the ISPs in my are provide a direct fiber connection to the consumer but they all have to terminate in their basic but effective modem/routers which are kind of limited and then from there I need to extend the network using a standard router and extenders.
Is there a way to connect a fiber line directly to a gaming router as such ? I tried researching but the terminology went over my head.

Do any of these new routers come with an input for a fiber optic cable ? Most of the ISPs in my are provide a direct fiber connection to the consumer but they all have to terminate in their basic but effective modem/routers which are kind of limited and then from there I need to extend the network using a standard router and extenders.
Is there a way to connect a fiber line directly to a gaming router as such ? I tried researching but the terminology went over my head.
You don't want to use any kind of wifi for gaming and the speed doesn't matter either games use maybe 1mbit and most are far less. There is no such thing as a gaming router it is all a marketing thing.

You likely will never see optical ports on most routers. There are a couple incompatible methods of transmitting data on fibers. Many use GPON but even that has lots of both software and hardware variations. It would be almost impossible to build a universal fiber connected router.

In addition part of the ISP security is the setting in these devices to prevent connection of unauthorized devices. ATT for example actually has a certificate loaded into each box so even if you get all the gpon setting and change the mac address you still can't connect it.

Reactions: kanewolf

M0rtis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You don't want to use any kind of wifi for gaming and the speed doesn't matter either games use maybe 1mbit and most are far less. There is no such thing as a gaming router it is all a marketing thing.

You likely will never see optical ports on most routers. There are a couple incompatible methods of transmitting data on fibers. Many use GPON but even that has lots of both software and hardware variations. It would be almost impossible to build a universal fiber connected router.

In addition part of the ISP security is the setting in these devices to prevent connection of unauthorized devices. ATT for example actually has a certificate loaded into each box so even if you get all the gpon setting and change the mac address you still can't connect it.

Yeah got that. Im actually using a wired connection for my PC by having the base unit right next to it. However this room is in one corner of the house and I do need wifi coverage throughout but the brick walls with rebar reinforced columns and beams seem to be blocking wifi signals quite a lot. Using repeaters helps but the signal quality drops drastically by the time it gets to the living room where my TV is. From 300Mbps down to 30-50Mbps which would ideally be sufficient but it just feels like the quality has degraded a fair bit. It doesnt FEEL like its 40 or 50, more like the 8-10 I get from an LTE network if you know what I mean ?
I wanted to replace my ISPs fiber optic modem, mainly just to get rid of one device in my chain and having a better signal going out to the repeaters.

Yeah got that. Im actually using a wired connection for my PC by having the base unit right next to it. However this room is in one corner of the house and I do need wifi coverage throughout but the brick walls with rebar reinforced columns and beams seem to be blocking wifi signals quite a lot. Using repeaters helps but the signal quality drops drastically by the time it gets to the living room where my TV is. From 300Mbps down to 30-50Mbps which would ideally be sufficient but it just feels like the quality has degraded a fair bit. It doesnt FEEL like its 40 or 50, more like the 8-10 I get from an LTE network if you know what I mean ?
I wanted to replace my ISPs fiber optic modem, mainly just to get rid of one device in my chain and having a better signal going out to the repeaters.

Look for a pack of mesh network routers, like Amazon's eero Pro or even Ubiquiti's UniFi / AC Mesh Pro. Then just space them strategically enough that you can create a chain of "solid" signal zones. Either dual-band or tri-band mesh routers will be fine; the extra bands help the routers send traffic between each point on separate bands from the user devices.

kanewolf

Titan
Look for a pack of mesh network routers, like Amazon's eero Pro or even Ubiquiti's UniFi / AC Mesh Pro. Then just space them strategically enough that you can create a chain of "solid" signal zones. Either dual-band or tri-band mesh routers will be fine; the extra bands help the routers send traffic between each point on separate bands from the user devices.
UniFI APs do not have a dedicated backhaul radio, so the bandwidth is halved on each hop. A chain would kill throughput. Wired backhaul with traditional APs is the only way that WIFI works well, IMO. That wired backhaul could be MoCA if there is no ethernet wiring. But, if you own the dwelling, pay a professional to pull ethernet cable. It is worth the expense.

UniFI APs do not have a dedicated backhaul radio, so the bandwidth is halved on each hop. A chain would kill throughput. Wired backhaul with traditional APs is the only way that WIFI works well, IMO. That wired backhaul could be MoCA if there is no ethernet wiring. But, if you own the dwelling, pay a professional to pull ethernet cable. It is worth the expense.

Agreed - hard-wired is always best. But the OP could be served by a mesh 3-pack, especially the ones that have the dedicated channel for their traffic. Likely they don't need gigabit wireless, so sharing the bandwidth shouldn't be too bad. But for sure, if it's your place, hard-wired connections are the way to go!