ASUS Deluxe II: What happens if I use dual channel ram in slots not recommened by manufacturer

Mejak

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016
I'm buying a new PC. I'm getting the ASUS Deluxe II motherboard and the R1 Ultimate/Universal cooler. Because of the size of the cooler, I can't put the ram sticks in the recommended slots.

This is the guide by the manufacturer:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-DLX_II/X99-DLX-II_Guide-o.pdf

Instead of B1 and D1, I would have to put it in the C1 and D1 (or maybe A1 and C1) slots. What would happen in that case? Would that work or affect the performance?

Solution
A1 C1 should work, probably with no performance loss. However, you should take into consideration that, at some point, you'd need more RAM slots (otherwise, why buying a x99 board?).
I suggest looking for different CPU cooler, maybe a liquid cooler one.
A1 C1 should work, probably with no performance loss. However, you should take into consideration that, at some point, you'd need more RAM slots (otherwise, why buying a x99 board?).
I suggest looking for different CPU cooler, maybe a liquid cooler one.

Solution

Mejak

Commendable
Aug 16, 2016

I see, what about C1 and D1 slots? Is there a difference?

Thanks for the answer.

You're welcome.
You can test the differences with some benchmark programs, when board and RAMs available. However, I suggest again considering different CPU cooler or low profile RAMs (if cooler's clearance allowing them), for taking advantage of all board's features.