Asus Displays its Z87-Deluxe/SATA Express Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tested a Revo Xrive X2 and overall you can't tell the difference between it and a SATA3 drive in terms of using the OS. And some things wont be able to utilize speed that fast.That said, I am excited as always for technology to push forward.Were you able to find out what company is providing the SATAe chip?I have found that Intels SATA is normally the most reliable, ASMedia, pretty much Asus, being decent and Marvell normally has more issues than anything.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Did you test it as a non-Boot drive? I would assume PCIe based storage would be useful for cache and scratch disks.

This was as a OS vs OS drive. Transfer wise, yes it was faster but using it as a OS drive did not feel much faster or smoother and that is because the IOPS on SSDs is already insanely high.

It is much akin to current memory speeds and how for most applications quad channel is overkill as is anything above DDR3 1600MHz right now because 20GB/s is already more than enough for current applications. But in applications that can utilize that bandwidth, it excels much like transfer of files will excel on SATAe and quad channel RAM.

I am all for new technology though. I know there will be a point where it will be beneficial. Its much like 4GB of RAM. On XP, it was pointless to have much more than 1GB, 2GB was even considered overkill. But in 7 4GB is what you want minimum and 8GB is the current sweet spot.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
SATA III in my opinion will still be around for a long time after SATA express takes off, might even stick around longer than SATA II. Same thing with DDR3 for consumer markets. Aside from niche markets (Super-enthusiasts, Servers, Workstations, people with more money than sense) there is no need for faster interfaces. Server market is going to be big but outside that, for the next 2-4 years unless SSDs drop down significantly in price/GB I can't see SATA express going mainstream. There is no need, it would be more expensive for OEMs and the performance benefit people would see would be marginal if any for day to day tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts