Question Asus Dual 1060 3gb or Zotac 1060 6gb AMP!

tinoferrol

Honorable
Sep 16, 2017
The Asus 1060 3gb costs 120€ while the Zotac costs 158€, both card are from used market. I read many benchmarks and if you OC the 3gb to nerly 2 GHz the performance is pretty much the same, and considering the 6gb is 30% cheaper...
I will basically play at 1080p: Dead by Daylight, PUBG, Resident Evil 2, The Division 2...

Shall i wait to the GTX 1650Ti or any other recomendation?
When Navi arquitecture comes out maybe i will upgrade..
Thank you a lot :)

WildCard999

Titan
But i heard that the 3gb version actually is like any other 4gb card because nvidia memory compression, so if Division 2 uses 3.5gb maybe it will be enough am I right?
4gb is still on the low end especially if you want to turn settings up. If I didn't get my RX 580 4gb for so cheap I would of opted for the 8gb version or the 1060 6gb.

I'm not too aware of Nvidia's memory compression, I thought it was a GDDR6 tech but maybe I'm mistaken.

A moot point.
So far as I know GTX1060 cards are not sli capable.

Past that dual gpu has impressive synthetic fps benchmarks but your gameplay is better with a good single card.
Dual gpu is prone to stuttering, screen tearing and non support in an increasing number of games.

The GTX1060 6gb has more CUDA cores in addition to the extra 3gb of vram.

WildCard999

Titan
A moot point.
So far as I know GTX1060 cards are not sli capable.

Past that dual gpu has impressive synthetic fps benchmarks but your gameplay is better with a good single card.
Dual gpu is prone to stuttering, screen tearing and non support in an increasing number of games.

The GTX1060 6gb has more CUDA cores in addition to the extra 3gb of vram.
There's no mention of SLI in the thread....

I read many benchmarks and if you OC the 3gb to nerly 2 GHz the performance is pretty much the same,
This seems a bit unlikely, since in addition to the difference in VRAM, the 3GB version of the 1060 also has 10% of its cores disabled. So, the best you could likely hope to get out of equally-overclocked cards would be around 90% of the performance of the 6GB version, at least when not limited by CPU performance. It might still be a reasonable enough option if the 6GB version costs over 30% more though.

It's worth asking, what country are you in and how do the prices of Radeon RX 570s and RX 580s compare there? The RX 570 offers comparable performance to a 1060 3GB, and the RX 580 offers comparable performance to a 1060 6GB, typically at lower prices when buying new. It might be worth considering those cards if they can be bought new for not much more. With a new card, you should be getting a fresh warranty as well. About the only concern might be their higher power draw from the PSU under load, depending on what's in your system.

As for the 1650/1650 Ti, I get the impression that Nvidia will want to keep those as 75 watt cards, like the 1050/1050 Ti, for systems with low-end PSUs. And if that's the case, they will most likely perform behind a 1060, which have a 120 watt TDP. Nvidia's new cards are a bit more efficient, but not likely enough to manage that kind of performance within that power envelope.

Graphics card vendors bin their chips and use the better ones in factory overclocked versions
that they can sell for more. You may be able to OC more, but then again, perhaps not.
They try to differentiate by adding cosmetics and fancy coolers which also sell for more.
I do think you get fair value from a modest factory overclocked card.
If you need more performance, they buy a higher tier card in the first place.