[SOLVED] Asus dual 1060 6gb only one fan keeps spinning on idle for no reason

Jul 12, 2021
Hello, i've been experiencing something unusual lately, it goes like this, i turn on the pc, both fans are not working because it hasnt reached the supposedly high temp (50c on idle) to start spinning, i turn on a game and both fans start working, when i turn it off and the card cools down again, one fan stops, the other keeps working?? im fine with the gpu being at 50c on idle, but the one fan keeps spinning till the gpu is at low 40c, and MSI afterburner shows that the fans are at 0%. is that some kind of a bug? it happens randomly it wasnt happening before

Solution
MSI Afterburner has trouble reading & controlling many 3rd party GPU fans.
sometimes it will recognize a single fan and only control it,
sometimes it will disable all fans,
other times it will run all at 100% but show 0%,
you never know.
supposedly the author claims they know of the issue and do not plan on correcting it ever.

the best option is to disable fan control through Afterburner and either use ASUS GPU Tweak II or just use the AMD Adrenaline software to control the fans properly.
MSI Afterburner has trouble reading & controlling many 3rd party GPU fans.
sometimes it will recognize a single fan and only control it,
sometimes it will disable all fans,
other times it will run all at 100% but show 0%,
you never know.
supposedly the author claims they know of the issue and do not plan on correcting it ever.

the best option is to disable fan control through Afterburner and either use ASUS GPU Tweak II or just use the AMD Adrenaline software to control the fans properly.

Reactions: Mezao12
Solution
Jul 12, 2021
I kinda suspected MSI afterburner because it always happened when i had msi afterburner running in the background. otherwise it never happens. thanks. ill just uninstall msi afterburner till they resolve that issue, if they ever plan to.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost