[SOLVED] Asus Dual Mini OC Rtx 3060Ti Overheating.

Dec 14, 2022
So yesterday ı opened a thread about this topic to this form. I bought This Asus dual mini OC RTX 3060ti LHR from second hand. the card was not used. I oppened the box it came from china and it had no warranty before starting to write my problem ı want to let everyone know that my casses are flow is good.(Aerocool One Duo).I installed the gpu and ran furmark on it. It reached max 83c. I was happy with the results and i approved the purchase. After that, i went on installing my favorite game battlefield 2042. I put in high settings with 144Hz and dlls quality. I entered a 32v32 exodus conquest match. After 1 or 2 minutes the card started reaching 82c and the fans started going crazy (2700RPM). After that ı just kept playing like that. the card reached like 90c and decided to close the game and wait for it to cool down. While waiting i decided to download cyberpunk 2077. I waited for it to cool down and install cyberpunk and ı decided to play it. I put on Low RT setting with dlls auto. It was reaching 87c and ı decided to turn on V-SYNC. After turning it on the temps went like 82-79c. After those results ı did a bit of googling and found about undervaluing (https://snipboard.io/P4xrSW.jpg) fan curve settings and +600 memory clock. The temp on Battlefield drops to 70-75c. The performance dropped a little. So ı used to own a Sapphire Pulse RX6600 8GB. RTX 3060ti has the same size of Saphires cooler. İt used to be 80-85c but didn't make this level of fan noise. I am really scared for my GPU. Will using it factory settings damage my GPU or should i undervolt it to be safe? thanks for answers.

P.S: Phaase88 recommended me limiting the power usage but it didint help and took a lot of performance.

Also in idle the gpu is at 47c

Solution
I think my casess are flow is bad. The card went to 62c. I think the card is small and oc model. Combine that with the bad airflow and boom. You have rrally high temps. I dont want to undervolt my gpu. I paid for the full card so i am going to use the whole card :). Will high temps damge my gpu or fans. If so how much the damge would be?
That is not something that can be easily calculated. As long as operating thermals are not stuck up there, that is 'safer'.
Fans are designed around 100% operation as it is. A static rpm is easier on the motor than a constantly changing one. If fans fail, you can buy new ones, or DIY case fans onto the heatsink.

The case's airflow isn't bad. You've got the traditional front to back fan setup...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I used the afterburned OC Scanner. It had the same temps as before.
After using OC Scanner, you apply and save the settings it finds to a profile, then click 'Revert'.
Further, you click the unlink button(chain link icon) and move the power limit slider down - test different power limits until it matches what the card got at 100%.
The core and memory clock bump are there to offset the lowered power limit, which reduces the operating thermals.

If it really didn't drop after all that, then you missed a step or have another problem. If the boost algorithm wasn't capable of lying, UV would be a more reliable means of lowering thermals while maintaining performance.
Asus Gpu Tweak's scanner is the same program, as I understand it.

Dec 14, 2022
After using OC Scanner, you apply and save the settings it finds to a profile, then click 'Revert'.
Further, you click the unlink button(chain link icon) and move the power limit slider down - test different power limits until it matches what the card got at 100%.
The core and memory clock bump are there to offset the lowered power limit, which reduces the operating thermals.

If it really didn't drop after all that, then you missed a step or have another problem. If the boost algorithm wasn't capable of lying, UV would be a more reliable means of lowering thermals while maintaining performance.
Asus Gpu Tweak's scanner is the same program, as I understand it.
Using the asus OC Scanner i sat up a temp limit of 75c however when i enter any game. The temps only get lowered only by 2 or 3c. I think i am not gonna underbolt or limit the temps of it. Will using it at 85 or 83c damge the fans or GPU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Using the asus OC Scanner i sat up a temp limit of 75c however when i enter any game. The temps only get lowered only by 2 or 3c. I think i am not gonna underbolt or limit the temps of it. Will using it at 85 or 83c damge the fans or GPU?
No need to touch the thermal limit, but that's your call.
It's easier on the motor if fan rpm is constant, instead of constantly changing. Fan inevitably break, but are cheap to replace - heck, you can even DIY case fans onto the heatsink if necesary.
Damage? What damage? Is it sitting there, that's all that matters, cause it means the thermal and power limit protections aren't doing enough. Temperature spikes are less of a concern.

Dec 14, 2022
No need to touch the thermal limit, but that's your call.
It's easier on the motor if fan rpm is constant, instead of constantly changing. Fan inevitably break, but are cheap to replace - heck, you can even DIY case fans onto the heatsink if necesary.
Damage? What damage? Is it sitting there, that's all that matters, cause it means the thermal and power limit protections aren't doing enough. Temperature spikes are less of a concern.
For example, while playing minecraft with pbr resorcr pack and seus ptgi e12(rtx) and without v-sync thr gpu seen 89c the temp sits on 83-85c on all games without v-sync. The gpu starts to lower the clock speeds to keep the heat to stable.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
For example, while playing minecraft with pbr resorcr pack and seus ptgi e12(rtx) and without v-sync thr gpu seen 89c the temp sits on 83-85c on all games without v-sync. The gpu starts to lower the clock speeds to keep the heat to stable.
I hear some of those Minecraft texture packs can hit gpus pretty hard... v-sync off is going to allow max power draw from the gpu.
Sounds like the thermal protection is working correctly.

Maybe you do need to repaste the gpu - but before getting into that, do you have a box/pedestal/desk fan that you can use to blow air inside the PC while you play?
Leave the gpu on its defaults. IF you still get this 83C+ behavior even after that, then we can advise on the repaste.
IF the temperature drops significantly, then there IS an airflow problem.

Reactions: NameNotShownn
Dec 14, 2022
I hear some of those Minecraft texture packs can hit gpus pretty hard... v-sync off is going to allow max power draw from the gpu.
Sounds like the thermal protection is working correctly.

Maybe you do need to repaste the gpu - but before getting into that, do you have a box/pedestal/desk fan that you can use to blow air inside the PC while you play?
Leave the gpu on its defaults. IF you still get this 83C+ behavior even after that, then we can advise on the repaste.
IF the temperature drops significantly, then there IS an airflow problem.
My cpu genrally runs at 80c(stovk amd fan) and when i put my hand close to it the fan feels very hot. But when i put my hand to gpu fan when its running at 83c it feels only warm not hot. I think it should get re pastted.

Also i really dont think it has a air flow problem becouse my old gtx 1060 6gb used to run cold and quiet.

Edit 2:ehile its at 87c i touched the heat sink and it felt warm not really hot. I think there is a problem with the thermal paste or pads. I currently have a aextra coolermaster mastergek regular. Shoukd i apply it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My cpu genrally runs at 80c(stovk amd fan) and when i put my hand close to it the fan feels very hot. But when i put my hand to gpu fan when its running at 83c it feels only warm not hot. I think it should get re pastted.

Also i really dont think it has a air flow problem becouse my old gtx 1060 6gb used to run cold and quiet.

Edit 2:ehile its at 87c i touched the heat sink and it felt warm not really hot. I think there is a problem with the thermal paste or pads. I currently have a aextra coolermaster mastergek regular. Shoukd i apply it?
Don't jump the gun. Can you do the fan test?

-You can NOT trust your hand with that. The 5600 uses a good deal less power than the 3060Ti does, yet your hand couldn't even discern that. The 1060 uses about 70% of the power a 3060Ti.
-Airflow is a possibility specifically due to the gpu cooler. I see threads with this type having less favorable thermals than the very popular type that exhausts at the sides. It requires a different setup from the traditional to work well.
If the front half of the cooler is trying to exhaust the gpu's heat towards the front, and you have front case intakes blowing towards that, is that not an airflow conflict?

-Don't think about thermal pads at this point - it's way too early for that.

I don't use Discord BTW.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022
Don't jump the gun. Can you do the fan test?

-You can NOT trust your hand with that. The 5600 uses a good deal less power than the 3060Ti does, yet your hand couldn't even discern that. The 1060 uses about 70% of the power a 3060Ti.
-Airflow is a possibility specifically due to the gpu cooler. I see threads with this type having less favorable thermals than the very popular type that exhausts at the sides. It requires a different setup from the traditional to work well.
If the front half of the cooler is trying to exhaust the gpu's heat towards the front, and you have front case intakes blowing towards that, is that not an airflow conflict?

-Don't think about thermal pads at this point - it's way too early for that.
I dont have fan i can use. I will try a hairdryer in cold mode. When i pop off the side glass panel the temps drop about ~1 to 2c my case is AEROCOOL One DUO RGB. Can you suggest me anither way to test the airflow? Thanks.

Also is there any problem with using the gpu at 85c? If there is hiw much will it affect my gpu?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I dont have fan i can use. I will try a hairdryer in cold mode. When i pop off the side glass panel the temps drop about ~1 to 2c my case is AEROCOOL One DUO RGB. Can you suggest me anither way to test the airflow? Thanks.

Also is there any problem with using the gpu at 85c? If there is hiw much will it affect my gpu?
Gotta use an external fan aimed at the underside of the gpu - that's where it's intake is located, after all.

The only problem with using the gpu at 85C is the fan noise(obviously) and the boost algorithm doesn't care for it(lower average boost curves).

Dec 14, 2022
Gotta use an external fan aimed at the underside of the gpu - that's where it's intake is located, after all.

The only problem with using the gpu at 85C is the fan noise(obviously) and the boost algorithm doesn't care for it(lower average boost curves).
I dont care about the noise to be honest and i will try the lowering power method test you suggested. Can you explain me how will i understand if i need to replace from results?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I dont care about the noise to be honest and i will try the lowering power method test you suggested. Can you explain me how will i understand if i need to replace from results?
See, you're lowering the power limit to a level that the cooler should be more than capable of handling, even with the front case fans blowing against the gpu's front exhaust - ignore the performance loss for the moment.
If it's still bloody high, then you can go about doing the repaste... but then, that would bring into question if this 3060Ti is actually new; if it really is new, paste shouldn't be going bad that fast...

Dec 14, 2022
See, you're lowering the power limit to a level that the cooler should be more than capable of handling, even with the front case fans blowing against the gpu's front exhaust - ignore the performance loss for the moment.
If it's still bloody high, then you can go about doing the repaste... but then, that would bring into question if this 3060Ti is actually new; if it really is new, paste shouldn't be going bad that fast...
With %60 power limit thr card goes up to 62c and %60 fan speed at furmark 1080p

Dec 14, 2022
I think my casess are flow is bad. The card went to 62c. I think the card is small and oc model. Combine that with the bad airflow and boom. You have rrally high temps. I dont want to undervolt my gpu. I paid for the full card so i am going to use the whole card :). Will high temps damge my gpu or fans. If so how much the damge would be?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That is not something that can be easily calculated. As long as operating thermals are not stuck up there, that is 'safer'.
Fans are designed around 100% operation as it is. A static rpm is easier on the motor than a constantly changing one. If fans fail, you can buy new ones, or DIY case fans onto the heatsink.

The case's airflow isn't bad. You've got the traditional front to back fan setup, right?
iu

What may be questionable is how Aerocool has fans sandwiched between a patterned grille and the dust filter, instead of the fans being behind both; what Aerocool has done is less effective.
The preinstalled fans are weaker than Corsair's QLs, and those are all looks and no performance.

Solution
Dec 14, 2022

The case's airflow isn't bad. You've got the traditional front to back fan setup, right?
iu

What may be questionable is how Aerocool has fans sandwiched between a patterned grille and the dust filter, instead of the fans being behind both; what Aerocool has done is less effective.
The preinstalled fans are weaker than Corsair's QLs, and those are all looks and no performance.
I am really happy with my pc case. If i want i cant change my pc case becouse i have no money to spend my computer. I am a student and this pc is all i can do. If my fans on gpu fails i can do a diy fan kit on my gpu. Until they do i will be using my pc like this with v sync on. I will use this pc only for 2 years or 3. I will be stopping gaming from pc when the ps5 pro or new xbox gets relased. Until then i will be stuck with this pc. I am really thankful for your valuable time. You have helped and tought me a lot of new things. Thanks a lot :).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am really happy with my pc case. If i want i cant change my pc case becouse i have no money to spend my computer. I am a student and this pc is all i can do. If my fans on gpu fails i can do a diy fan kit on my gpu. Until they do i will be using my pc like this with v sync on. I will use this pc only for 2 years or 3. I will be stopping gaming from pc when the ps5 pro or new xbox gets relased. Until then i will be stuck with this pc. I am really thankful for your valuable time. You have helped and tought me a lot of new things. Thanks a lot :).
You're welcome!
I'm not suggesting you change the case. It might need some stronger fans up front because of the odd grille+filter sandwich. Just something to consider when things are more convenient for you.