Asus Eee Keyboard Taken Apart and Explored

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
The device would be cool if the little screen popped out and was usable as a ipod-touch like device, and would dock to the keyboard. Unfortunately it looks like a neck cramp and eyestrain nightmare.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Maybe not HD streams - but I wonder how this would work with a wall-mounted monitor in a kitchen. Get recipes online, stream online radios or music from a server, and jump onto sites like Hulu or (if you have Windows on it) Netflix for watch instantly movies. No HD streaming? Oh well, as long as it can still handle non-HD streaming.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Cute, but I don't see its advantage over a netbook. Is it the bigger keyboard? I don't see why that would be such an advantage, you won't type on a home theater pc that much anyways. I rather control my home theater through a wireless HDMI netbook.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hope it comes with a VGA/DVI/HDMI/Composite mutli cord. I only see the use of this as being even smaller, lighter, and cheaper than a netbook, yet still inteded to be used in desktop scenarios.

sn4re

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
One problem I can see right away from the video is animation speed. I realize It's not a finished product, but I'd very impatient very fast with those slow scrolling page changes - the sliding seems to take FOREVER.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@ WheelsofConfusion, I stand corrected, this is cool.

I looked around the net and found these preliminary specs:
* Self-contained PC / keyboard combo with integrated 5-inch touchscreen display
* 1.6GHz Intel Atom microprocessor
* 1GB of DDR2 DRAM
* 16GB or 32GB SSD
* Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n
* Bluetooth 2.0
* Ultra Wideband HDMI
* USB 2.0 x2, VGA, HDMI, headphone and mic ports
* Weight: 2 lbs
Put this with a real monitor (Say compact 19") and you have a great (ultra low profile) little net appliance and light duty PC.

dravis12

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]I'm not sure I understand what its FOR[/citation]

Its got HDMI. You plug it into your TV and voila! Instant HTPC.

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
They could have put the screen in landscape mode, in the center, and split the keyboard to it's sides.
Anyway, it's a nice idea.
Can anyone at least estimate how much this could cost?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Pretty neat except for the neck strain that screen will give you and it is too tiny to be useful for more than that calculator pad. Also kind of expect it to die within a couple years since it is an Asus.

G

Does it have an SD cardslot?
Howmuch of the functions are comparable to the EeePc or EeeBox?

Status
Not open for further replies.