Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101: A Tablet In Disguise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i plan on buying a used ASUS transformer pad, what are some things I should check before I get it? IE defects, screen bleeding?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Kevin

[citation][nom]kevinjteng[/nom]i plan on buying a used ASUS transformer pad, what are some things I should check before I get it? IE defects, screen bleeding?Thanks in advance everyone!Kevin[/citation]

The only thing to really check is that the buttons operate and feel fully functional. Also, that texturized back plate could feel loose from the frame. Simply squeezing the unit while holding it will tell if its solidly connected. It would make a slight clicking sound. If its not firm, the sound from the device could make the entire backplate vibrate with loud sounds, music. This can give you a tingling sensation on your fingertips. Not a big deal if that happens... up to you.

G

I have the top of line laptop/good luck beating that!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

I have not had the opportunity to own a tablet, but I have played around a little on the Toshiba Thrive and the iPad. Outside of the variety of apps available thru apple, I was completely satisfied with my experience with the Toshiba. Would love to have one of my own to play with :)

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]miah2008[/nom]the newest version of Glbenchmark has an off screen test at 720p which can be used to compare devices with different resolutions[/citation]

Yup. Kishonti told us. We're working on it.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]dmitche3[/nom]I just bought an Acer netbook. After touching and seeing the screen of the Eee PC I couldn't lower myself to buy the Asus. I had thought that Asus was pretty good as I've bought their MOBOs for years. But I was wrong.[/citation]

LOL. Hold the Acer and Asus side by side and its obvious the Acer's screen is quite inferior to the Asus especially when considering viewing angle.

Reading your comment I struggle to believe you actually held both and took a close look at their screens.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I got a chance to play with one a few months back at a computer/computer parts store. It did take a long, long, time after it was first released to actually get a chance to play with one due to supply. I'm pretty impressed with the litte Transformer and I would definitely pick one up now to replace the wife's failing laptop if it wasn't for the fact the Kal-El version is coming out 'soon' (supposedly October).

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]siege_templar[/nom]i am so sad, i cant enter comp due to:under 18and i live in aus isnt tomshardware from germany?[/citation]
Southern California.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Dangerous Beans[/nom]What is the point of a 32gb model when the tablets has a micro sd slot? I can get 2 32gb mSD cards for the extra $100 bucks.[/citation]

THIS. I've never understood the point of paying $100 more for just 16GB of storage. Transformer also has USB, not just microSD... I'm sure I can just hook up my external HDDs to it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

No, YOU are stupid. The screen will still require a support to stand properly. Attaching a keyboard does the following:

1) Gives the screen support
2) Adds USB ports
3) Adds extra battery (and the device's internal battery CHARGES from the dock, mind you!)

It's obvious that ASUS has way more gray matter than you and it's a very creative instance of gray matter, I might say. One of the best tablets on the market. Get rid of the ridiculous price tag in my country ($700 for 16GB with dock, I think), and it's mine.

EDIT: fixed the wrong quote.

NONE of these would be accomplished with wireless connection.

G

I own this tablet and its great. Used it for travelling and it worked flawlessly while I used my andriod phone as a wi fi hotspot. Best part of the usb besides adding a mouse......500gb hard drive worked perfectly. Just ensure you change your avi movies to mp4 or other formats that are compatible. Or I just haven't figured out how to play avi's on honeycomb. My sd card is my expansion port so 16gb onboard is not too small, its just right with the expansion options.

G

Liked your review and would love to enter the contest but I keep getting an error when I submit the entry form :(

G

I purchased my ASUS Transformer a week ago with the dock as well. I would say well worth the purchase in terms of being able to do the following:
Reading websites (CNN, Time, Wikipedia, etc)
Searching for information (Google website or Google Maps)
Watching movies (Netflix)
Checking email
Quick sleep times/Quick wakeup times.
and of course...playing Angry Birds.
90% of what I do on my laptop is the above. I have yet to turn on my laptop since I purchased this device but I know that I will have to since this tablet/notebook will never run CS5 or MS Office.

G

Contest problem:

the contest page says "It looks like the form "Tom's Hardware Tablet Giveaway Contest" is turned off."

:(

I just got one. My eyes adore the screen (yes, that is a reference to a song). Having a higher resolution than other screens of the same size, it is much easier for me to read.

It's not powerful, but it's pretty good for reading Tom's and acceptable for posting. I have a Bluetooth keyboard-and-mouse, so if I'm going to post a lot I use them instead of the base section.

I give it a thumbs-up for reading and browsing and lightweight apps.

G

received an i-Pad2 as gift and after 10 days returned same. Although Mac store advertised a "User Guide" for the i-Pad2, which was to be downloaded to my laptop, it failed to download. Mind you after I received a confirmationn from Apple to check my Laptop, there was no mail. Tried 3 times with same results. Got fedup with Apple, so took it back to store. After looking at the above comparison, I realize I should have kept the i-Pad2. Gave my son the i-Pad1 as a X-Mas/ birthday present. After thought Apple is now selling a book, All About the i-Pad2 for over $25.

G

[citation][nom]ps3hacker12[/nom]BTW WARNING ITS A US ONLY COMPETITION : ([/citation]
[citation][nom]Siege_templar[/nom]i am so sad, i cant enter comp due to:under 18and i live in aus isnt tomshardware from germany?[/citation]
Awww...Don't worry...be happy!

G

I sold my Transformer a while ago but I'm sure they released an update that lets you choose either the circle cursor or the arrow. The hardware is decent enough but Android is too buggy for me so I'm sticking to iPad 2 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.