Asus eee PC X101 disc problem

pirat9690

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Hi!

Have one of these laptops with Meego on it. Meego won't startup. I can select boot option but when I select OS, it stops. (it doesn't freeze, on left side is blinking line but nothing hapens). I tried boot it with meego usb stick, but it freezes when it starts to instal. Then I tried Win 7 usb boot and I got "a disk read error occured" when I try to boot. There is something wrong with disc I guess. I don't have much experience with any OS except windows, this is my friends laptop. Can I check disc with any tool? I don't either know how to get into BIOS. When I press F2 it shows me boot menu. The same with DEL and ESC.

Thanks for any ideas.

pirat9690

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
No, there wasn't any change done. Laptop is 3 or 4 years old and this is still the first OS. I was working fine until few days ago when it frozen and startup isn't possible any more.

I've tried getting to bios with DEL before but it only shows me "Welcome to meego" logo where I can choose OS to boot and when I do that, I get black screen with blinking line in left side.

I would like to run some diagnostic tool but I don't know how in this OS.

pirat9690

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
I've tried to format the disc using ubuntu live and I get: "Error calling fsync(2) on /dev/sdc1: Input/output error" message.

If I try to use smart data self test on this disc, it does practically nothing. The test doesn't even start. Overal assesment says: disk is healthy, bad sectors: unknown. So I started the bad sectors test from the terminal. If was running for cca one hour and then frozen.

Is the disc dead or can I do something to bring it back to life. I should say if it's worth to bring it back to life?

I would take the disk out, and try it on another computer, with proper tools.
Whether it's worth keeping it? Atom netbooks were "modern" five years ago. Meego is no more (unfortunately, it was predecessor of Ubuntu Unity, and looked much better).

Unless you have a leftover hard drive from some laptop' upgrade, and a way to reload Meego (with it's locked BIOS, as you claim) - that's "clausa perduta"