Asus Finally Officially Announces Strix GTX 980 Ti With Triple-Fan Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
ASUS's Strix marketing is really silly. It started out as a mid-range line with parking fans at idle and now they just plaster it on everything so it means nothing. They have Strix headphones now!

They really should have kept the Matrix naming for the high-end cards, at this point ASUS Strix is like Samsung Galaxy, superfluous branding that everyone totally ignores.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
why don't they add grooves to the backplate to increase surface area? when you put the card in, the backplate usually faces up too, so it makes sense that the heat is transferring on to it. anyone?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Though i own 2 ASUS products, (MB and soundcard) i`m actually amazed about how many people buy their products. Beside manufacturing their products ASUS is really terrible at drivers ( good thing Nvidia and AMD are responsible for the GPU) but on soundcards they have about 0 support, you get the initial driver release and if you`re lucky you might get a beta one, as for forum support is inexistent. For a company as big as them their support is total crap.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Though i own 2 ASUS products, (MB and soundcard) i`m actually amazed about how many people buy their products. Beside manufacturing their products ASUS is really terrible at drivers ( good thing Nvidia and AMD are responsible for the GPU) but on soundcards they have about 0 support, you get the initial driver release and if you`re lucky you might get a beta one, as for forum support is inexistent. For a company as big as them their support is total crap.

maybe on sound cards, but their motherboard support is excellent.. Running Devils Cayon on a Z87 Board atm

ASUS's Strix marketing is really silly. It started out as a mid-range line with parking fans at idle and now they just plaster it on everything so it means nothing. They have Strix headphones now!

They really should have kept the Matrix naming for the high-end cards, at this point ASUS Strix is like Samsung Galaxy, superfluous branding that everyone totally ignores.

They seem to be selling a lot of them . I'd say the marketing was working pretty well

SamSerious

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
why don't they add grooves to the backplate to increase surface area? when you put the card in, the backplate usually faces up too, so it makes sense that the heat is transferring on to it. anyone?
Then it would get really bulky, especially in SLI setups. Or if you happen to have a miniITX board with the cpu socket closer to the PCIe x16 Slot than normal.

But yeah, it could definitely improve the heat dissipation even further. After i broke a 4870 by mounting a selfbuilt combination of a massive thermalright cooler and a 12w ebmpapst fan onto it, i really appreciate the stability a backplate gives to the pcb and the whole card.
However, nothing reaches the old GTX280 reference coolers. These cards were made like a brick and the radial fan was surprisingly quiet at low speeds. Plus ALL of the hot air went throught the air vents on the PCI bracket and didn't stayed inside your PC. And that cards drained up to 230w..

Status
Not open for further replies.