Question Asus GA502D charge port replacement woes ....

Feb 26, 2024
So a customer brought an asus gaming laptop to me with a damaged charge port. After inspecting the port I realized the ground pin was pushed back. Using my skill I managed to get the pin back into a position where it would temporarily power the system while we waited for a new charge port.

System worked fine, had no issues other than it wouldn't charge. The new port came in, it was clean in clean out solder job. After soldering I check to make sure there were no shorts.

Now after reassembling the entire laptop and plugging it in I have found the strangest issue I have come across.

I have 19.5 at the battery charge circuit and going into the battery. But it doesn't charge. I tried a different charger. I tried putting the battery in a like system and testing the battery, that too was good

So now after testing I turn on the system not only does it have power, but the battery seems like it may be charging however. No lightning bolt icon over battery to indicate it's plugged in, no animation to indicate it's charging.

All I get is a battery icon that shows the battery is dead, yet it's been running on battery power for over 45 minutes now, with no signs of running low.

Obviously I cannot send this back to the customer even though it appears it's working. There no indicators. I'm at a loss for what or where to inspect next. I've used my DMM on every circuit pertaining to the charge circuit, everything tests fine.

Clearly the system is not fine.

Any ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is the battery genuine?

As for the device in Windows' Device Manager, remove(uninstall) all entries listed under Batteries and see if that helps. Check to see if the BIOS is also pending an update.

Feb 26, 2024
Laptop OS?

This:

"All I get is a battery icon that shows the battery is dead, yet it's been running on battery power for over 45 minutes now, with no signs of running low."

What software or utility is presenting that icon?
Nothing on this system is not stock. Except the charge port we replaced. I've replaced thousands of these ports. This one is giving me grief. Another thing. The OS would have nothing to do with the charging abilities of any laptop. They charge while powered off ...there's no OS to manage the BMS while the system is powered off.

This is a clean image of windows 11. No 3rd party garbage is on it. The way a system should be kept. We've tested batteries on like systems. Those work fine.

The charge circuit issue on these republic of gamers recently has pushed me away from the idea of hardware repairs. Instead of a $75 fix, it's al.ost always a $600 fix where the uses just opts for a new laptop.

It's not the wages that's driving up the price of repairs. It's the cost of a replacement mainboard.

The default mainboard for this system is 850 average. I can buy a fully working laptop for cheaper. With the better mainboard in it..........

Ralston18

Titan
I was only questioning the reliability or accuracy of the software presenting the icon.

If the icon indicates "dead" but the laptop is running on the reportedly "dead" battery then something is obviously amiss.

So reverse engineer it.

If you wanted to alter the charge circuit to indicate a dead battery but still have the laptop charge/run then what you do?

Any schematics?

Feb 26, 2024
I was only questioning the reliability or accuracy of the software presenting the icon.

If the icon indicates "dead" but the laptop is running on the reportedly "dead" battery then something is obviously amiss.

So reverse engineer it.

If you wanted to alter the charge circuit to indicate a dead battery but still have the laptop charge/run then what you do?

Any schematics?
See I've been working on that, and as everybody here knows. All manufacturers are useless when it comes to schematics. I work at a brick and mortar electronics repair shop.

Windows is 11 pro.

Regardless which OS I put on it. It reads the same. I tried batocera just for fun because that OS will write over bitlocker without asking permission (secret trick)

If Asus was still respectable they would offer the schematics to the repair shops for a cost. But they provide nothing. As helpful as apple tech support on a good day.