ASUS Gives Reviewers And Users Different Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
This sort of thing goes on all the time.
The only way to test any product is to get -retail samples- from different venders/shops over a period of a few weeks and insure all tests are run the exact same way.

veritas_aa

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
This is a typical case of lack of INTEGRITY. Things will be different if only ASUS admitted it first but it is still not to late for them to correct this "mistake" with exchange program immedidately instead of just "consider it". WHAT YOU SENT TO REVIEWER SHOULD BE THE SAME AS WHAT YOU SELL or it is called CHEATING.

johnbilicki

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Asus does not RMA expensive/new items, it sends dead/used items to replace them. It was my first and last item I'll ever buy from Asus. It sickens me to see them get so much coverage here and at Maximum PC. They simply don't stand behind their products. It doesn't matter if a product trumps all others with a hundred times the performance without overclocking or anything special if when it does break you get not only used but broken replacements on $200+ parts!

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]SvenBoogie[/nom]"Asus would like to assure our customers, we never intended to get caught."[/citation]

LOL

crash27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
"This is a typical case of lack of INTEGRITY. Things will be different if only ASUS admitted it first but it is still not to late for them to correct this "mistake" with exchange program immedidately instead of just "consider it". WHAT YOU SENT TO REVIEWER SHOULD BE THE SAME AS WHAT YOU SELL or it is called CHEATING."

I disagree i think it's stealing.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
commies. How can a huge company "accidentally" ship different batteries, and not know about it. Either they have absolutely no quality control, or they just scammed a lot of people. Either way, I'm not going to buy from asus for a while.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
C'mon, it's not even 20 per cent less the capacity. And you make it look like the computer is useless now... and Asus is a serial killer.
First of all, you should have read the computer's specs at the hardware/internet store before you bought it. If they would sell/ship you the PC with inferior specs, you could argue about scamming and you could just RM that.

cynewulf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
[citation][nom]crash27[/nom]I disagree i think it's stealing.[/citation]

You can't really classify this as stealing. Fraud, deception, misdirection yes but stealing, no.

It sounds absolutely dishonest, but Martel does have a point. Having read the article, I'm not sure that consumers were told one thing but given another. One could even say that the onus should be on the reviewers for not pointing out that they were testing using an extended-life battery rather than the standard one. What did Asus tell the reviewers about the battery they got? Did they claim it was the standard? If so, then everyone who bought one based on the reviews should get the better battery. If not, then people too lazy to read suffered the consequences.

nihility

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Marketing departments tend to prefer scamming customers over telling the truth. It makes their jobs much easier.
Take a look at the EEE PC 900 page http://eeepc.asus.com/global/news04152008.htm - there is no information there about the battery. Rarely do you get much information about the battery, reviewers had no reason to suspect they were getting a bigger battery. The blame is 100% on ASUS for being scumbags.
This happens with a lot of products. When Toms gave the Viewsonic VP930 a glowing review I went out and bought one. When 6 months later it died, I got a replacement unit which was terribly inferior to the original. Nothing I can do about it. What can anyone do about it?

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Sounds like the reviewers didn't ask the most basic questions and are trying to pass the blame on to someone else. Idiot reviewers should know what they are actually reviewing. How can you not tell the difference between an extended battery and a standard battery.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
The 4G also has more than one battery option as well (4 cell 4400mAh and 4 cell 5200mAh) so this really shouldn't have been a surprise for reviewers.

That's the question, Sandman, what did the reviewers know, vs. what SHOULD they have known. Did Asus lie to anyone, or just not bother to make sure people weren't making favorable assumptions?

And no, I don't and have never worked for Asus. I haven't used an Asus mobo in too long to remember, although a pair of Asus EAH3850 video cards I bought for different systems (mine and one for my niece) have worked well.

A failure to think for oneself is NEVER someone else's fault, even if that someone else could have been more clear.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
If you are a reviewer of laptops and you get a new one up for review whats the most important feature??? The friggin battery!!! Isn't it the reviewers job to scrutinize the changes from the past model and reveal to the end user why that change occurred. Sounds like people here wanted Asus to write the article for the reviewers...

It should have sent red flags at the beginning when a brand new 5800mAh battery was in the 900. The 4G and 8G both use the 4 cell 4400mAh and 4 cell 5200mAh. If I get a laptop for review and it has a different battery than all the previous models, isn't the prudent first question to ask Why?

Any reviewer that didn't note this change failed. Its also funny that the reviewer now get to write the counter and claim ignorance as a defense and watch as all the sheeple readers jump on the Asus hate bandwagon.

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
The 4G and 8G both use the 4 cell 4400mAh and 4 cell 5200mAh. If I get a laptop for review and it has a different battery than all the previous models, isn't the prudent first question to ask Why?

Uh, the usual answer is "it's a new product" ?

Gee, you get in a new MacBook Pro to replace an older revision, and it comes with a faster DVD burner. Would you ask why? Maybe because it's better? Maybe because it makes sense? Do you then go and ask Apple "hey, is this new feature really just for me or for everyone?"

The whole goal of releasing a "new" product is having "new" features? If I was reviewing this thing, I'm going to go and ask ASUS "Hey, why did you update the battery? I don't get it."

"Hey Apple, why did you put in a better LCD screen? I don't get why."

"Hey, I noticed you now include a better, longer lasting batter, which is naturally a good thing. I don't get it. Why did you do it??"

... >_>

retard.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
uh yeah you obviously have a case of the morons today or something... The reason why we go to review sites is to get the answers to those questions before we make a purchase. Its the reviewers job to inform people and they obviously dropped the ball on this one by missing a rather crucial piece to the puzzle.

And I dont buy over priced Macs, but you seem to, so I wouldnt expect much out of you anyway. Especially since your first post was modded and removed. I can already tell you are an especially world class sheeple.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
To sum it all up this article is being pushed off the front page at a record rate. Even faster than articles that were posted days ahead of it. Its a non story, get over it.

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
uh yeah you obviously have a case of the morons today or something... The reason why we go to review sites is to get the answers to those questions before we make a purchase. Its the reviewers job to inform people and they obviously dropped the ball on this one by missing a rather crucial piece to the puzzle.

And I dont buy over priced Macs, but you seem to, so I wouldnt expect much out of you anyway. Especially since your first post was modded and removed. I can already tell you are an especially world class sheeple.

You obviously did not even attempt to challenge what I stated above. Who in their right mind goes and asks a company why did they take a forward step to improve on a product? Is it suspicious that they release a new Eee PC model, and equip it with a new model of a battery? Hello? Isn't this what EVERY company does? I buy a 2008 car over a 2007 car, Usually there's something new and improved there? Do I go and ask the obvious question of why they improved fuel efficiency or why did they add mp3 capabilities to a CD player?

Sandmanwn, please think before you make these ignorant remarks. You are clearly assuming by your response that you think ASUS did not lie, and that the fault lies entirely with a reviewer. The fact of the matter is, you no nothing of what transpired in this case. You don't know whether or not ASUS had male intentions, and you don't know whether the reviewer was mislead, lazy, or lied to? For all we know, it's entirely plausible that the reviewer DID ask ASUS why they included a better battery (a DUH question to ask to begin with), and was given a misleading answer. It's also possible that the reviewer knew they received a special battery and failed to mention it.

The above, is fair from both sides.

What you've written, obviously is one sided, putting the blame squarely on the reviewer.

Any reviewer that didn't note this change failed. Its also funny that the reviewer now get to write the counter and claim ignorance as a defense and watch as all the sheeple readers jump on the Asus hate bandwagon.

If you do not have the full answer from ASUS (and you'll never know if either side was honest or mislead), then you can never say you know 100%. By the statement I quoted above, you clearly picked your side.

Know your shit before you write. And in this case, no one knows the full truth behind this tale, so shut your 1 sided slant.

Status
Not open for further replies.