Asus Gives The GTX 1080 A Strix Overhaul

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

It's been a long time since I've seen a GPU block that doesn't contact the VRMs. Most offer direct cooling of the VRMs which is far more than a lot of aircooled cards can say.

Okay, but excluding watercooling, there is no reason to purchase the founder's edition with better cards like the Strix coming out for a cheaper price. Some people say reference is better for blower style coolers, but MSI already announced its Aero card which is blower style; there are non-reference cards that are still blower style and cheaper. Which is why I stand by my statement that people who purchased the reference card (particularly those who don't need blower style cards and don't watercool) are probably slapping themselves in the face for not waiting for an aftermarket card like the Strix.

"The card is mem-capped anyway. The gains per Mhz go down significantly as you edge above 2Ghz. The HBM2 cards will fair a lot better for OCing."

No proof of memory bottleneck.

We can get diminishing returns due to CPU bottlenecking, temperature throttling and other reasons.

We simply don't have enough testing yet to determine where the main limits are. The FOUNDERS did throttle due to temperature fairly easily, so we'll gain a reliable 300MHz in many cases simply due to a better cooler.

Many games throttle to below 1800MHz consistently (especially if your room is hotter than normal). A good liquid cooler might maintain 2500MHz which is almost 40% faster in that case (assuming no other bottleneck of course).

Keep an eye on pcpartpicker (links stores), amazon, newegg, ncix

You can expect the GTX1080 to be in very high demand for quite a while, but the only one so far at Newegg that isn't a Founders reference model is the Gigabyte G1 though it already sold out (it said "sold out" on one page and "coming soon" on another, so I think it isn't actually available yet (not sold out):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125869&leaderboard=1

Anyway, these cards will slowly start appearing soon. I couldn't find specific dates though.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

That would be a good idea. Blower style fans are much better suited for small compact cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.