ASUS GTX 1070 - Flashing Red Light

Docster7

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
I have a new ASUS GTX 1070 Gaming Edition graphics card. Installed it on a Gigabyte Assassin motherboard, powered it with a Thermaltake 850 power supply. When you power on the system, the graphics card turns blue and the fans kick on, then they stop and the light slowly flashes red.

The system works fine, tested it running fallout 4 in Ultra settings and it is smooth as butter. But I do not see the fans kicking on and the red light keeps on flashing.

I figured that it might be the power supply so I bought another Corsair 850, but the graphics card acts the same way. Both of the power supplies have a 6+2 PCI-E connector, and the graphic card has a single 8 pin connector. The I tried another motherboard, and it acts the same way.

I emailed ASUS tech support and they told me that the card must not be installed correctly, so the flashing red light baffles them as well.

Here was their email:
Thank you for writing back to ASUS Technical Support.

I am sorry for what has happened and please be rest assured, I will help you.

I checked and found that the red one indicates the plug isn't in securely or isn't providing power correctly.

Make sure the GPU is fully seated in the PCIe slot and the power connectors to it are secure to the PSU (if it's a modular PSU check both sides of the cable).

For any further queries, please feel free to reply to this E-Mail. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for choosing ASUS.

To which I replied:
We have tried 3 power supplies, 2 motherboards, and 2 different computers. Don't ya think we checked if it was plugged in? Also we played fallout 4 on ultra settings last night for 4 hours and it seemed ok.
UPDATE The Fix: Ignore the flashing red light, download the Aura app and change the color and strobe effect. Also ignore their tech support... Obviously outsourced and reading from a book.

Change it with the AURA(GRAPHICS CARD) app from:

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Reactions: therealAnaNg
Solution
You should be able to change the light colors and how they react using GPU Tweak II
http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING/overview/

Docster7

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Thank you. After trying everything I could, I took it to a friends house and tried it in his machine, and it acted the same way. Slow flashing red light. So we gave up and decided to burn it in or burn it out and played Fallout 4 on Ultra for a few hours. Seems the graphics card is fine, but I cannot seem to change the colors on windows 7 x64. Anyway, the card seems fine. That said:

It took a complete idiot to make the default color "flash red" as if there something wrong with the card. When they could have used a static blue or green. Flashing red has never meant "Good to go" in the computer world.

Thank you for your time.

Docster7

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Thank you, I did get it changed with AURA(GRAPHICS CARD) app from:

http://www.asus.com/us/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/