Asus GTX 960 2gb vs Sapphire r9 270x 4gb

Mahbub1

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
i wanna get either Asus GTX 960 2gb or Sapphire r9 270x 4gb for next two years.. and considering the fact that games upto two years wont benefit from DX12... cz gta 6 or far cry 5 will come after 2 years only.. so why should i not go for r9 270x considering more vram and mantle.. plz help.

Solution

For future proofing sake, go for AMD card.

Sahaj Pal

Honorable
May 15, 2013
I have used both AMD and NVIDIA and never encountered any issues with AMD's WHQL ceritified catalyst drivers. Never

As for OP's question, you should go with GTX 960 cuz Mantle is pretty much dead.
Another reason why you should go with GTX 960 is simply because it'll provide better amount of graphics horsepower than the R9 270X. The R9 270X's extra 2GB memory will be of no use for you if it isn't fast enough in games

senseijtitus

Honorable
I also used an HD 6750 for 5 months and then HD 7770 for almost 8 months and finally gave up coz of the Diver issues I was facing. Driver crashes, lack of updates and other issues. I Really love the way they perform when they perform. But when these sorts of issues starts happening almost daily once or twice, any one would not feel so great.

senseijtitus

Honorable

Most games are not even going to use more than 1 GB or G-RAM. You will only need 2 GB or more if you are going for a multi monitor setup. Even then it is the resolution for each monitor that dictates the memory size.

senseijtitus

Honorable
4 GB graphic card has more Graphic RAM compared to a 2 GB graphic card. One with a larger chunk of memory will be better. A normal desktop or laptop monitor would be good enough for a 1 GB graphic card.

If you are going to run games on a 1080p screen, you probably need a better one with more Graphic RAM.

2 GB+ graphic cards are used by people with multiple-monitor setup, Hardcore gamers and professionals. That is to plug in more than one high-res monitors, which , requires more amount of graphic memory.

The performance of your card depends upon the card's generation,its clock speed and its GPU capacity and family.

senseijtitus

Honorable

I understand. If future proofing is the main concern, go for the R9 series with more Graphic memory since it would be more within your reach than the GTX card with sane V RAM. The Driver issues I had faced may be rare with others. But I never got any issue with any of the Nvidia cards I had used till date.

I somehow feel you will not be facing such issues in your rig. Go for what you feel is best for your future needs. Good luck and happy gaming.

Mahbub1

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
i had amd card.. Ma sha Allah no issues.. actually i am taking card for gta 5.. so trouble is that nvidia with dx12 wont help cz gta 5 isint built.. but mantle would though its old.. and plus 4gb gives more future proofing.. so based on these factors which would u suggest??

senseijtitus

Honorable

For future proofing sake, go for AMD card.

Solution

ATi RaDEoN

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
I would strongly suggest you to not go for a 2GB card. GTA 5 can use even more than 4GB VRAM depending on your graphics settings. Better go for R9 280 3GB or GTX 960 4GB (if you get a good deal, otherwise it's waste).

Mahbub1

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
YES BUT UPTO AT LEAST 3 OR 3.2 GB THE R9 WONT BOTTLENECK.. SO AT LEAST I ASSUME IT IS 3.2 GB SO STILL APPROX 1 GB MORE THAN 960.. AND WATCHDOGS GTS5 FAR CRY 4 ALL NEED 2 GB+ VRAM