Asus H170 Pro Gaming + Windows 7

Zdenek_3

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have a problem during windows 7 installation on motherboard H170 Pro Gaming. When I load the AHCI driver from CD or the new driver from web, the windows doesn't localize any HDD, so I can't continue with installation.

But the windows see the HDDs, because I can search the driver on these HDDs.

I know that IDE mode of sata controllers should be help, but the motherboard offer only AHCI or RAID mode.

I will appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Solution
Its not a RAID thing. Its a driver thing with Win7 and Intel 100 series motherboards. Go here and do the thing and you should be fine.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Alternatively, install Windows 10 as a clean install with you Win7 key and make life easy on yourself.
The Nov update allows for clean installs with a Win7 or Win8 key.

Either way I'd stick with AHCI over RAID unless you need the RAID. It makes configurations a bit easier.
Its not a RAID thing. Its a driver thing with Win7 and Intel 100 series motherboards. Go here and do the thing and you should be fine.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

Alternatively, install Windows 10 as a clean install with you Win7 key and make life easy on yourself.
The Nov update allows for clean installs with a Win7 or Win8 key.

Either way I'd stick with AHCI over RAID unless you need the RAID. It makes configurations a bit easier.

Solution

TechGuruGames

Honorable
Sep 19, 2015

true, follow this solution and create a win10 usb bootable stick

Gary_T_

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I found an article on Wikipedia that appears to explain a possible problem with ACHI when installing Windows 7, the following is a key
sentence from that article >>>
"Some operating systems, notably Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 do not configure themselves to load the AHCI driver upon boot if the SATA-drive controller was not in AHCI mode at the time of installation."
Hope this helps

AHCI does need to be selected as the mode when installing Win Vista/7/8/10 for it to load at default, otherwise you have to either do a reg edit or reload the OS to change modes. What the OP is likely running in to is the driver support issue that Win 7 has with Intel 100 series chipsets. Asrock and Gigabyte have their own utility but Intel released the one I posted to do the same thing.

Bennibon

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
Hey there
This could work!
I have to say I don't understand much about computers but I've visited the ASUS H170-PRO motherboard page and it's written this about installing Windows 7 : "Please refer to ASUS website and download “Windows® 7 installation guide” and “ASUS EZ installer” to install Windows® 7."

TRENDING THREADS