ASUS H61M-K with i5 2320,CPU not supported American Megatrendz error!! Help!

May 27, 2018
Hi guys!

My old system configuration was-
Mobo - Intel DH61WW
CPU - i5 2320 3.0 GHZ
RAM - HyperX Fury 8gb x2

Some months ago,the power button stopped working and i had issues getting the system started,after consulting different experienced ppl,i got to know that the problem was my mobo,the Intel DH61WW.

As you guys know,it is very hard to find these days,upon reading online and consulting local hardware vendors,amazon,and other sites.

I went for the ASUS H61M-K.

I have done all the proper connections,but now i am getting the American megatrendz screen.

saying CPU NOT SUPPORTED!!.

I have read of the internet,and it does support the CPU.

I am lost,as i valuable data on my hard drive,and it does'nt even show the partitions on some softwares.

Iam ok with formating my C drive,but dont want to loose the other data.

Kindly suggest the best course of action,or share experiences if anyone else has has this issues.

Thankyou.

Solution
Motherboard specs:
CPU

Intel Socket 1155 for 3rd/2nd Generation Core i7/Core i5/Core i3/Pentium/Celeron Processors
Supports Intel 22 nm CPU
Supports Intel 32 nm CPU
Supports Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
Supports CPU up to 77 W

"Supports CPU up to 77 W" while Core i5-2320 is Thermal Design Power - 95 Watt.

The Thermal Design Power (TDP) is the average maximum power a processor can dissipate while running commercially available software. TDP is primarily used as a guideline for manufacturers of thermal solutions (heatsinks/fans, etc) which tells them how much heat their solution should dissipate.

Doseq

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
According to official Asus website this CPU is not supported by this motherboard.
https://www.asus.com/pl/Motherboards/H61MK/HelpDesk_CPU/

Guess that some "IT experts" just looked on the socket not checking the supported CPU list ;D
You can either buy new motherboard or a CPU.

Motherboard specs:
CPU

Intel Socket 1155 for 3rd/2nd Generation Core i7/Core i5/Core i3/Pentium/Celeron Processors
Supports Intel 22 nm CPU
Supports Intel 32 nm CPU
Supports Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
Supports CPU up to 77 W

"Supports CPU up to 77 W" while Core i5-2320 is Thermal Design Power - 95 Watt.

The Thermal Design Power (TDP) is the average maximum power a processor can dissipate while running commercially available software. TDP is primarily used as a guideline for manufacturers of thermal solutions (heatsinks/fans, etc) which tells them how much heat their solution should dissipate.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, always go to the manufacturer *first*. As you'll notice, ASUS lists no 95W CPUs as compatible, so only low-power Sandy Bridge i5s and and the one low power Sandy Bridge i7.

With the significant die shrink in Ivy Bridge, 77W is the max for every Ivy Bridge CPU that can be run on that socket.