ASUS H81M-K Temperature Readings Very High

Yugaman

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Hi,

I recently built a new rig for a friend and they are reporting that their temperatures are very high. They have OpenHardwareMonitor and they sent me this screenshot (attached)

Please could someone advise me on what to do, as originally I assumed the CPU was too powerful for the cooling system in place, generating way too much heat.

SPECS
Intel Core i5-4960K
MSI GeForce GTX960 2GB
8GB HyperX Genesis 1600MHz
Corsair VS550 (550W) PSU

https://imgur.com/a/7NLmh
7NLmh

I can't see the pic at work. Make sure the case has the fans set up for good flow through it, i.e. front intake and rear exhaust, vs. all exhaust (remember, the PSU is also an exhaust, although that won't matter if it's bottom-mounted and draws its air from beneath the case). If the PSU is bottom-mounted, make sure case vents aren't muffled in carpet.

Yugaman

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

I've just been round to see it. All the fans are correctly installed and spinning now, but the motherboard's thermal sensors are reading at around (Whilst idle):
Sensor1: 45 Celcius
Sensor2: 118 Celcius constantly
Sensor3: 40 Celcius
Sensor4: 40 Celcius
Sensor5: 110+ Celcius constantly
Sensor6: 110+ Celcius constantly

I think it's a sensor fault. What do you think?

Yugaman

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Cheers for your help, really appreciated.

I got a laser thermometer, not so sure how accurate they are. I pointed it at important chipsets and very carefully used the back of my finger to probe certain parts. (Don't worry yourself too much, I know how to stay safe from ESD)

Nothing felt too hot so I believe it's a false reading.