ASUS H81M-PLUS, Windows 10, BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors - Yes button inactive

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekk

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
The Yes Button is inactive in the BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors , but the Intel Management Engine Interface was installed.

Solution
Because the system probably is seeing that the bios is already up to date according to the update servers. You shouldn't use automatic utilities to update the bios anyhow. Manual methods, by going and physically verifying with your own eyes, that there is not a newer version available on the motherboard product page, and updating it yourself, is always going to be the preferred method anyhow.

The Intel management engine interface shouldn't have anything to do with the UEFI bios anyhow, which is firmware and is entirely independent of the operating system.
Because the system probably is seeing that the bios is already up to date according to the update servers. You shouldn't use automatic utilities to update the bios anyhow. Manual methods, by going and physically verifying with your own eyes, that there is not a newer version available on the motherboard product page, and updating it yourself, is always going to be the preferred method anyhow.

The Intel management engine interface shouldn't have anything to do with the UEFI bios anyhow, which is firmware and is entirely independent of the operating system.

Solution

darekk

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
It says above inactive Yes button and active No button:

This tool is for BIOS update to support new Intel® 4th Gen
Core™ Processors. Please ensure that the Intel® Management
Engine Interface driver is properly installed before using this
tool.

That driver is listed among installed drivers when such bat file is run:

driverquery /V
driverquery /?
pause

and is marked as Running OK, so perhaps you are right. ASUS lists a lot BIOS updates for the H81M-PLUS motherboard, but maybe they were installed before getting to the shop last year. But updates depend on Windows version. That computer was bought without Windows. This is a little disturbing.

Edited later:
No, numbers of BIOS utilities and updates are the same for all versions of Windows:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H81MPLUS/HelpDesk_Download/
I didn't look at their versions however. But BIOS should not be dependent on OS.

I never said the bios was "dependent" on the OS. I said it was "independent" of the OS, which means, one should not affect the other, at all, except that a newer OS is likely to run better if you have the most recent bios version installed. Do not rely on an automatic utility to make this determination for you. Verify your bios version against the latest available bios version yourself, visually, with your own two eyes. The automatic utilities will often tell you that there is no newer bios version available when in fact there is one, or even several.

You do not need to install each version that is newer than yours, if there are any. Each bios version supercedes ALL previous versions so if you have, for example, version 1234 and there is a version 2345 and version 3456, you would ONLY need to install version 3456, not version 2345. You can find the bios images on the product page for your motherboard model.

Intel management engine interface is not necessary (Although it's highly recommended for the operating system) in order to install newer bios versions manually, via flash drive. There are instructions on flashing the bios manually on the product pages of every modern aftermarket motherboard.

Are you having problems that lead you to believe you need to update the bios or that there is a newer bios version available which you would like to install even if you are not currently having issues? What is your operating system version?

jackie-chun

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

I got same issue, "Yes" button is grey out, unable to click.

This issue solved after I try to:
1/ Uninstalled current Intel Management Engine Interface version. (Current version: 11.0.0.1146)
2/ Install older IMEI version, the version which I installed is: 9.0.0.1323

Hope this help.

Status
Not open for further replies.