Question Asus Hero VI TPM Module Pin Out Question

Feb 3, 2023
Looking to upgrade to W11 and the Hero VI does not have a TPM so I am looking for a compatible option.

The manual says 20-1 so I assume I need a 20 pin module,

Amazon

My issue is the manual states pin #1 (or2) is PWRDWN where as every module I have found this pin is labeled LPCPD# will a module with this pin work or do I need to find one that reads PWRDWN?

Thanks

Looking to upgrade to W11 and the Hero VI does not have a TPM so I am looking for a compatible option.

The manual says 20-1 so I assume I need a 20 pin module,

Amazon

My issue is the manual states pin #1 (or2) is PWRDWN where as every module I have found this pin is labeled LPCPD# will a module with this pin work or do I need to find one that reads PWRDWN?

Thanks
I believe LPCPD# stands for LPC Power Down so logic suggests it's the same thing. HOWEVER...I'm not saying this module absolutely is compatible with that motherboard.

May I ask why you feel the need for a discrete TPM? is this a CrossHair Hero VI? are you running a Ryzen processor on it? If so, any 1st gen won't be compatible with Win11 even with a discrete TPM. Any 3rd or 4th gen has a perfectly good fTPM built into the CPU which is 100% Win 11 compatible. I'm uncertain about 2nd generation (2000 series).

FWIW, the only good reason I can think of for running with a discrete TPM is in a managed environment as it would seem to make decommisioning computers very easy with no loss of resale value.

Last edited:
Maximus VI Hero and does not have the TPM
The CPU is an intel i7 4790 (which I believe is 4th gen?) and I was planning on removing all the TPM code as I see that should (along with the TPM module) allow me to upgrade to W11 using my current setup

The Easiest Windows 11 Upgrade Workaround For Unsupported PCs

BUT.....If I am missing something please let me know before I start :??:

Cheers
Steve
Do beware back-door installs like that. It might work, it might not. It might work a while and then decide to stop working properly after one of it's monthly updates. I know many have it working OK (not sure when installed as shown in that video) but I'd suggest just staying on Windows10 since it will be supported at least until 2025, and continue receiving security updates after that. I'm pretty sure Win10 still allows a TPM 1.2 device, but not sure.

Reactions: BrightonUK