Asus Introduces 10-Point Multi-Touch AIO PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Graphic acceleration will be powered by Intel HD Graphics only -- so far Nvidia and AMD options do not seem to be available, unfortunately

Immediately turned me away.
Not like my opinion counts to them anyway, it's not targeted at me. lol.

Still.. It would be nice to have the option to buy one with a decent graphics card or a Llano APU inside.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I wonder why they try and tout them on the homefront when really people don't want such stuff at home.

When iCrap "invents" ( steals) the AIO, every technological moron will be lining up for one and we will be reading articles in the MSM as to why the end of the pc has arrived thanks to Apple's brilliance. Of course they wont tell you that they purchased iCrap shares before the article went to print. Live an learn.

Yes, I have no use for an AIO.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
AIO PC's make pretty good secondary computers if you have the money for it. Asus has been doing a pretty good job with AIO in general. Only problem with Asus is they always have some cool product they show off and everyone wants it then it just disappears. Or it's released in very small market and not globally.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Asus just better worry about getting the EeePad 2 out and shipped to their customer's. They have gone way down in my book right now. I have been waiting for it since 11-25-11 and still not shipped!

Most readers on this website do not a use for AIO PCs. These have a targeted niche market and that's about it. No reason to get testy about them, though. plenty of people out there that use PCs just for some web browsing, some Office apps and social networking; for these, the ability to ditch the tower altogether could come in handy. It is the price of AIO that prevents them from getting more widespread than they are.

The only reason I want an AIO touch screen PC is to embed in the wall above the sink in the kitchen for watching movies while doing dishes (a real problem, who designed a kitchen without a window? And what moron buys such a house...), but even then the plan was to hide it under a sheet of plexiglass, and have a 'touch mat' over the glass so I would not damage the screen with soap water.

Probably the only use where fingerprints would not be a problem.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]I really can't see these AIO machines anywhere other than Shop Displays and Malls. I wonder why they try and tout them on the homefront when really people don't want such stuff at home.[/citation]

If price was irrelevant, most people would choose an all-in-one instead of the display + midi-tower alternative.
Even most "enthusiasts" have to agree that a desktop-class high-end processor crammed inside an all-in-one is sweet.

Wonder what the pricing on this thing is going to be.
1920x1080 is pretty weak for a 27" display.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I'll second the comment about the Llano APU as opposed to the Intel HD stuff. However I'm thinking this would be awesome to put in my workspace. Instead of having a tablet or laptop taking up space or needing to be held. If I can wall mount this, I can turn to it, punch up what I need via touch and keep my hands/workspace free once I've found the reference material I needed.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I am trying to keep an open mind. Really, I am...

Can someone please explain who the demographic these are going to be marketed towards/will actually have any use for this?

I get the tablet. I get even the AIO...

But why the 10 finger multitouch? Why? What use could there be to this, outside of shopping tools?

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nomCan someone please explain who the demographic these are going to be marketed towards/will actually have any use for this?I get the tablet.[/citation]

People with more than nine fingers? In reality, I suspect that the killer app is yet to come. After all, a one-finger touchscreen could have done everything you could do with a mouse, at one time. And that was everything that you could do with a computer! You need two for zoom, technically three but more likely five to rotate (it's more intuitive to grab-and-rotate with all five fingers of one hand rather than sticking out your pinkie as if you were drinking tea). Someone will come up with a good reason for more than five soon. How about two-person games on really, really large surfaces? If they build it, someone will come up with a use for it, and we will be left wondering how we ever lived without it.

as in "Really, Grandpa? You had to click on a control in your browser and TYPE IN a scale factor to make the image larger or smaller, instead of pinch-to-zoom? How paleozoic!"

Other then gratuitously snarky forum responses, I hope that you have a lovely holiday of your choice.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom][citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nomCan someone please explain who the demographic these are going to be marketed towards/will actually have any use for this?I get the tablet.[/citation]People with more than nine fingers? In reality, I suspect that the killer app is yet to come. After all, a one-finger touchscreen could have done everything you could do with a mouse, at one time. And that was everything that you could do with a computer! You need two for zoom, technically three but more likely five to rotate (it's more intuitive to grab-and-rotate with all five fingers of one hand rather than sticking out your pinkie as if you were drinking tea). Someone will come up with a good reason for more than five soon. How about two-person games on really, really large surfaces? If they build it, someone will come up with a use for it, and we will be left wondering how we ever lived without it.as in "Really, Grandpa? You had to click on a control in your browser and TYPE IN a scale factor to make the image larger or smaller, instead of pinch-to-zoom? How paleozoic!"Other then gratuitously snarky forum responses, I hope that you have a lovely holiday of your choice.[/citation]
The kid will be wondering what a screen is more than how you interface with it:

Non-portable multi-touch's main problem is smudges. If you need to control something quickly and accurately, voice and non-touching gesture commands, like Kinect, make the most sense, with some kind of ancillary input like a sub keyboard... To touch your screen... Just not a good idea... Holographic screens will be the ultimate evolution of these non-brain-implanted devices... But as of today... I just don't see a need for this one outside of retail space...

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I think touch screens will become just the way screens are. Every screen will be a touch screen. Will it be super useful? Probably not, but it will be there... a feature you might use or might not. As for this touchscreen PC, I can uses for it, but they are primarily very functional uses, such as a display in a store which provides interactive directions to customers. Alternatively it would be cool to have one on the wall for watching things, as someone else mentioned.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]If price was irrelevant, most people would choose an all-in-one instead of the display + midi-tower alternative.Even most "enthusiasts" have to agree that a desktop-class high-end processor crammed inside an all-in-one is sweet.Wonder what the pricing on this thing is going to be.1920x1080 is pretty weak for a 27" display.[/citation]

It's "sweet" until you realized that you have an overpriced laptop without a keyboard which you can't upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.