Asus introduces 3D printable add-ons for MOBO's, GPU's and other parts.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Saw this today and thought it was worth sharing http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/08/23/introducing-asuss-3d-printable-parts-motherboards-gpus-peripherals/

seems Asus is actually sharing the source files for various printable parts so they can be modified. and it's all free. for instance here is a fan mount/gpu brace for the Sabertooth Z170 board

1464872134493.jpg

this is one place where a working knowledge of CAD and a 3D printer could make DIY modding and customization very interesting. also a low cost way for custom builders to create a unique product without breaking the bank producing low quantities of pieces.

write up says there are actually places on the board to mount the add-on pieces with screws the same size as M.2 mounting screws. so this has been planned for a while now if the boards already have mounting points on them.

This is not quite the first though. The GTX 1080 Strix has this as well with parts on the GPU that could be 3D Printed.

I think it is a neat idea. Not that I will ever probably use it since I don't have the money for a 3D Printer but it is neat none the less.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a value add for sure to me. for those with the printer and the desire to use it. technology is pretty awesome when it's used right like this.

i was thinking of getting a cheap 3d printer near the holidays just to tinker. i have some old CAD knowledge and could probably remember enough to edit a source file to my liking or even design some basic stuff myself. i like the idea of customizing my pc that little bit more.