News Asus: It's AMD's Fault The ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 Series GPUs Run Hot

logainofhades

Titan
Asus obviously failed to properly test their products, before the launched them. The TUF 5700xt was also a horribly designed card. Asus screwed up, and wants to shift the blame, because many are not too happy with them, over their purchase.

Reactions: alextheblue

hannibal

Distinguished
Yeah... I am sure that with right kind of heat block the amd instruction works just fine. Every cooling solution just is not similar! Many tests has shown that. But as it has been said above... A company should test it product before sending it to customers. Asus did drop the ball badly in this time!

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
I don't understand either how can Asus blame AMD for this. Isn't Asus fitting their own custom cooler to the card? Or are they fitted for Asus at AMD? So if Asus does not do any QC on the aftermarket product, why are they needed as a middleman at all.. To pay extra for a Asus logo?

logainofhades

Titan
All Asus is doing, these days, is ensuring they will not get my money. Unless they are the only option, I look past their products, anymore. Both the Strix, and the TUF 5700xt's are a disaster. Having dealt with it, in the past, I can also say their CS is terrible. Now they want to shift the blame, for their failure to properly test their products, before releasing them.

A lot of things can affect mounting pressure. For example, if you use too thick a thermal pad on the memory chips, that will will read 50-60psi on the plate, but the GPU isn't making proper pressure contact.

10:1 they didn't have the proper thermal pads, and it was interfering with the mounting.

A lot of things can affect mounting pressure. For example, if you use too thick a thermal pad on the memory chips, that will will read 50-60psi on the plate, but the GPU isn't making proper pressure contact.

10:1 they didn't have the proper thermal pads, and it was interfering with the mounting.
Hardware Unboxed covered this and described a fix in a video they did back in early January. From the looks of it, it appears to be largely down to Asus using a very large and heavy cooler, but inadequate mounting hardware to properly support such a cooler. So while the pressure might be fine when the heatsink is turned upright or when it is sitting on a surface during the cooler's installation, the cooler actually pulls away from the card when suspended below it. Some reviewers saw better thermal results, though that may have been down to them testing the card in a vertical orientation, such as in an open test-bench, where the weight of the cooler wouldn't be pulling down on the card as much...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7lnBCFnBok