News Asus joins the Thunderbolt 5 add-in-card party — ThunderboltEX 5 boasts twin 120 Gbps bi-directional USB Type-C and triple mini DP ports

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
There's no way Asus' card offers 120Gbps bi-directional, that's not what TB5 specifies. It's either 80Gbps bi-directional, or 120/40Gbps split.
Unless it's Asus' marketing team hard at work thinking 120/40 across two separate cables is bi-directional.

Hartemis

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
The expansion card bracket also has the same outputs: twin USB Type-C Thunderbolt 5 ports and three mini DisplayPorts.
Not outputs. miniDP are inputs (from GPU outputs), for USB-C DP Alt mode.

At least, here it's clear: "Only supports ASUS motherboards."

Mama Changa

Great
Sep 4, 2024
Do they require thunderbolt on the motherboard or will they also work on Amd board's ? The article said it didn't know so can anyone else clarify that?
They require TB header on the MB. AMD users are SOL, but at least their is usb4. Persoanlly I have two PCs and both are old and bith are AMD based, but when I upgrade this time, one will be Intel. I just feel Z890 is a better MB than X870E and I would like TB4/5. I wonder if Intel won't license AMD TB or it's too dear and AMD said no thanks.

And be warned people, each brands TB addon card only works on their own brand MB. You cannot buy an Asus TB5 card and think it'll work on any other brand MB. There has been no standard agreed upon by the MB maker and they are all incompatible.

Hartemis

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
And be warned people, each brands TB addon card only works on their own brand MB. You cannot buy an Asus TB5 card and think it'll work on any other brand MB. There has been no standard agreed upon by the MB maker and they are all incompatible.
This defeats the Personal Computer philosphy, where all are standardized (ATX, PCISIG, ...) so that all components are compatible with each other and can be assembled and upgraded individually. Otherwise, you might as well buy a Mac

There are few add-in card that make sense. For once there's an interesting one, we can't install it.