[SOLVED] Asus Laptop No Boot From New SSD

The Good

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
Hi, my girlfriend's Asus N580GD's Toshiba 1TB 5400 RPM HDD is failing.

I decided to buy a 1TB Samsung 860 QVO NAND SSD.
I hooked up her old HDD on my desktop computer and also installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit on the new SSD Via my desktop.
I transferred files between her old HDD and the new SSD.

I then installed the new SSD in her laptop and opened BIOS. The SSD is clearly detected and found as a storage device on the sata0 port, but it doesn't appear anywhere in the boot priority, boot menu, or boot device.

I looked a bit more into it and noticed the BIOS has no CSM/UEFI/LEGACY support. I tried updating the BIOS and it is still the same.

I really have no clue what to do at this point, all I need is for the laptop to boot from the already ready SSD.

I need help big time :<

Solution
Install Macrium Reflect in your desktop system.
The free version will work just fine.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Connect bot the origianl laptop HDD and the new Samsung drive to the desktop.
Run Macrium
Select ALL partitions on the HDD as the Source, and the Samsung as the Target.
Clone

Then, you can put the SSD in the laptop and it should work.

USAFRet

Titan
I hooked up her old HDD on my desktop computer and also installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit on the new SSD Via my desktop.
I transferred files between her old HDD and the new SSD.

I then installed the new SSD in her laptop and opened BIOS. The SSD is clearly detected in found as a storage device on the sata0 port, but it doesn't appear anywhere in the boot priority, boot menu or boot device.

The OS needs to be installed on the drive, when that drive is IN the system where it will reside.
You can't move things back and forth like that.

Create a bootable Win 10 USB.
Put the SSD in the laptop.
Boot from that USB, and do a full clean install.

The Good

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
Interesting, thanks a lot for the reply, my USB bootable key is ready in about 2min, I was going to look into that. Can you explain to me why it's not possible to do this, I have done it in the past and I am quite curious. Does it have to do with that specific BIOS missing features?

How would I go about to transfer the files from her old HDD. (I'll see if I can select an option during the installation to keep the old files)

Thank you so much.

USAFRet

Titan
Interesting, thanks a lot for the reply, my USB bootable key is ready in about 2min, I was going to look into that. Can you explain to me why it's not possible to do this, I have done it in the past and I am quite curious. Does it have to do with that specific BIOS missing features?

How would I go about to transfer the files from her old HDD.

Thank you so much.
A Windows install is not as generic as we'd all like. Moving between different hardware often fails. Moving between desktop and laptop? Almost certainly fails.
And it is not simply "copy" from one drive to another. There are specific tools and procedures to migrate things.

What drive and OS did the laptop come with originally?

The Good

Honorable
Jun 24, 2016
Originally had Windows 10 Home 64-bit on a Toshiba 5400 RPM HDD.
The new installation is Windows 10 Home 64-bit on a Samsung 860 QVO.

Yeah for some reason, most likely since I am a n00b, I thought that when both drives were in my desktop, I could just copy and paste files from them and then just shut down, remove power, unhook the SSD and slap it in the laptop.

USAFRet

Titan
Originally had Windows 10 Home 64-bit on a Toshiba 5400 RPM HDD.
The new installation is Windows 10 Home 64-bit on a Samsung 860 QVO.

Yeah for some reason I thought that when both drives were in my desktop, I could just copy and paste files from them and then just shut down, remove power, unhook the SSD and slap it in the laptop.
There is a way to do that, but it is NOT simply "copy/paste".

You'd need to use a tool like Macrium Reflect to do this properly.