Discussion ASUS Laptop Panel Color Issue (Yellow Tint / Lack Depth and Colors)

GK-

Feb 11, 2020
Being an ASUS user since 4 years, I have decided to go for a new laptop and pulled the trigger on the K571GD.

The moment I switched it on and started looking at the screen I noticed a strange hue. I went on to install all my programs (Photoshop, Acrobat, Office...etc) and the more I was using it the more it was becoming obvious there was something strange going on there.
My previous laptop is an ASUS UX501V from 2015, so intuitively I went on comparing the screens side by side, and noticed how off the colors were on the new K571GD.

I have tried everything to fix the colors on the new ASUS:
  • Calibrating the screen using the "Calibrate Display Color" from the control panel.
  • Updating Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver to 26.20.100.7755
  • Updating GTX 1050 Graphic Card driver to 26.21.14.3191
  • Using Intel Graphic Settings Panel tool to adjust colors.
Nothing seemed to work. I then plugged the K571GD to a monitor and to the TV and SURPRISE! The colors were as they should be.
Took the laptop to the store where I bought it, compared to the same model and few other models, and it was the same damn display... except for some ASUS gaming laptops which had "Pantone Validated" label where colors were much better, but still not the same as my good old UX501V laptop.

I'm attaching some images taken with phones on both side by side, full brightness and same intel graphic settings (as screen shots didn't seem to show the difference).

View: https://imgur.com/a/wGCzc8t

Any ideas what can be done?

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
I could not find a proper product page over at ASUS for the K571GD, but i seems like it has a FHD screen, while your UX501V have a UHD IPS screen.

Im thinking maybe the K571GD have a VA panel or something and that's why you see such big a difference?

Actually just saw that it should be an IPS panel as well with 120hz refresh rate. Do you know what color space % it has? sRGB, Adobe RGB and gamut?

I see the UX501V have color gamut of 72% NTSC, 100% sRGB and 74% Adobe RGB.

Last edited:

GK-

Feb 11, 2020
Thanks for shedding some light, it probably is the difference between the FHD and UHD.
(What drives me crazy is that no one at the shop took the time to explain there is even a difference, and as I don't have time to go over the internet and dig everything out about laptops and different tech they use)

How do I find the color gamut?
Color ICC profile is sRGB IEC61966-2.1 but I guess this has nothing to do with it...

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Now that i can see the pictures i'm thinking also that is probably because your old screen is UHD.

I found the specifications of your old laptop on a official product site here.

Did a bit more digging and found the product page of the new laptop, but it only specifies the NTSC, and also 3 different options for display. 2 with 45% and one with 72% NTSC. You can see it here.

So i guess it comes in with 3 different screens, depending on the model. If you have the one with 120hz refresh rate, it is the 45% NTSC.

If you are planning to work on photography and such, you would want a screen with high sRGB or AdobeRGB gamut.

It is rare to find people in electronics shops these days that actually have any knowledge about what they are selling. They are exactly that, just sellers and they will sell you <Mod Edit> on a plate if they can.

That's why it is better to do extensive research beforehand, then go shopping.

That said, i did just go with my gut when buying my last laptop, because i liked the specs, and i was not disappointed. To this day it is still not a single review of it or even something close to one..:sweatsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GK-