Asus Launching Eee PC Netbooks with Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

farleytron

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, a niche market for people who want to install pirated copies of windows 7 on their netbook without paying for a license on the hardware.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Always nice to see a manufacturer have Ubuntu pre-installed since it eliminates the hasle of installing it and seeing if you can find drivers.

[citation][nom]farleytron[/nom]Yeah, a niche market for people who want to install pirated copies of windows 7 on their netbook without paying for a license on the hardware.[/citation]

Like students with the MSDNAA which get those free, unpaid copies! Damn pirates! (?)

And beware, because they're millions!!

>_>

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]farleytron[/nom]Yeah, a niche market for people who want to install pirated copies of windows 7 on their netbook without paying for a license on the hardware.[/citation]

Because everyone needs windows?
There are a lot of people who only use windows because it comes preinstalled on their machines. My mum wouldn't know the difference if I installed linux on her machine. As long as there is a browser, a word processor and an email client, they're fine.

There also are a lot of people who have a spare winXP license lying around... or students who get free Win7 Pro licenses through MSDNAA.... or students who can buy licenses for 29USD....

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
No mention of a decrease in price... somewhat surprised.

Everyone does not need Windows! The most common compatibility issue I encounter is Office based, but with the advent of Open Office... problem fixed. In terms of using highly specialized software, ie: Mathcad, SAS, Sigmaplot... perhaps, but how many people use such highly specialized software. Netbooks are not processing powerhouses, they are portable computing that is easy to transport and long lived. Linux was packaged with the original... this is barely surprising.

G

My mum never noticed when I installed Linux and set it up with the same background and icons in the same location.

G

The reports that I saw showed very similar return rates! And it seems that most of both camps returns had nothing to do with OS. My only problem is that I cant find them for sale anywhere. I can install my self but I want to show a sales # for my purchase. It is great to have this option back.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I would prefer Ubuntu preloaded on a cheap netbook over Win7 Started edition. More so if the netbook has an AMD E350 processor rather than an Atom.

G

where i can download the netbook version of ubuntu for 1011px?

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hell hath no fury than an angry mob of Ubuntutards and the mighty power to thumb down all those rational comments pointing out how impractical this is for 99.999% of the general computing population.

There is a reason most Ubuntu users dual boot....

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]real_life_bites[/nom]My mum never noticed when I installed Linux and set it up with the same background and icons in the same location.[/citation]

Your mother must be pretty slow then. jk

G

ubuntu 10.10?

why not 11.04 - as it has many improvements, especially regarding user experience on netbooks and tablets

Flameout

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]eu[/nom]ubuntu 10.10?why not 11.04 - as it has many improvements, especially regarding user experience on netbooks and tablets[/citation]
nah unity is active by default on 11.04. personally i think unity is great for work, but not for basic end users. at least with 10.10 they don't have to turn on each and every computer to make sure it starts in classic mode

G

seems like only linux/unix users respond to this... I use windows and mac and every user i support as an IT Manager recognizes, uses, and understands these platforms. Linux is still guided towards more advanced users who don't mind and know how to run command line, installer drivers and do other tasks. The common (normal user) wants it all done for them, hence move users moving to mac. I still personally prefer windows for many reasons and Win7 is a huge improvement in the right direction. To each his / her own in the end, but try not to be so close-minded, reading between the lines. 20 million 'might' be on unix/linux based systems, but how many are on Windows and Max? 200 million? 1 billion worldwide? Glad the options are out there though. Choices add to the overall competitive nature of the interest and helps to reduce costs and push technology. good luck.

G

Has anyone found these for sale anywhere? I can't find anything online.

Status
Not open for further replies.