Asus Launching USB 3.0 PCI-E Card for $30

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amdgamer666

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
[citation][nom]claudeb[/nom]yeah from my rough calcs. you need x6 and you will have 2Gbits left over. for x4, you are 6Gbits short. x4 = 16Gbits, 2 X usb3 = 10Gbits, 2 X Sata6Gbits = 12GbitsThis doesnt really bother me though[/citation]

You took the words right out of my mouth, I was also doing rough calculations, and I'm also not bothered by it because I highly doubt somebody would be using full bandwidth even if all 4 ports are occupied. This makes me really exited! Maybe I won't have to upgrade to a brand spanking new system after all

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
well this just shows why a X 58 is a better buy. You can fit in 2 graphics cards plus get this card and slot it into the tird PCI - E right.....
well i guess i wont have to upgrade YIPEEE

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
A PCI-E USB3 expansion card...

Anyone else remember having a USB PCI card back in the day?

I guess this is what is meant by "future-retro".

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Hah, kind of giving Intel the ol FU there.[/citation]

x 10.

About time a company thought more about the consumer rather than their own stupid politics.

Can't wait to get this, was waiting around for AMD to come out with a USB 3 Sata 6gb board but now I don't have to wait.

Heck, for $30 and a USB 3.0 external drive (maybe 2TB or a dual docking station of sorts), I'd go for it. Makes for fast back up of my large files. It seems as if USB 3.0 outperforms eSATA and most surely firewire 400 quite easily.

G

This sounds great and all, but can it play Crysis from a USB hard drive?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Good to see something of this sort, though as koga73 mentioned, it lacks any header on the board itself so we could hook it up to our case's front port without some ridiculous-looking workaround. (i.e, running a USB cable around the system, or back through the case from the back... Not ideal) Of course, I can SOMEWHAT understand this, since I don't know of any existing cases where the front ports actually have the pins for USB 3.0. (of course, that wouldn't stop some enthusiasts from cannibalizing a 3.0 cable to replace said port)

Still, the fact that ASUS was willing to stick their neck out and make it a 4-lane part is a good thing. Even if it's PCI-e 1.0, (I have the impression it's probably 2.0, given what they spent on all the OTHER important interface silcon...) that still gives it, once overhead is counted, about 8 gbps. Since it's not a RAID controller, chances are slim that both SATA interfaces, if occupied, would have full bandwidth use, so that wouldn't be much of an issue for bandwidth at all; counting in the overhead, you're looking at 4 mbps for the USB and 6 mbps for the SATA. This means since one would be bottlenecking the other anyway, you could still get full speed in transfering from a USB device on it, to a SATA drive on it.

[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]Now I cant wait for USB 3.0 Devices to show up, im tired of the slow transfers from my USB flash drive to PC[/citation]
Actually, that tends to be not the fault of the USB port at all. Rather, the limitation is your flash drive; either the controller chip(s) on it are slow, or the flash memory chips themselves are slow. Unless, of course, you're using models specifically made for speed, where then the port might in fact be the bottleneck. Otherwise, USB 2.0's 480 mpbs would be likely enough to handle a USB drive; that's up to a theroetical 60 MB/sec, while most cheaper drives only even read at like 8-12 MB/sec, as I recall.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Does this mean Firewire can die now? Apple isn't including them on all their systems now. I know the ability to daisychain is great and all, but those cards are expensive.

twistedtomsky_01

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Though PCI would be far too slow for this technology, the fact that this card requires the use of a PCI-E slot renders this device near useless for most desktop owners. Think about it, if you're a classic single PCI-E board owner, then chances are it's already occupied by your graphics card. There would be no point in upgrading to a board that has more than one because then you may as well just upgrade to the damn USB3 board anyways.

Nobody would buy a dual or even triple PCI-e board without using it for a specific purpose (E.g. Crossfire/SLI) so what's the point!? Am I the only one to realise this!?

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]twistedtomsky_01[/nom]Though PCI would be far too slow for this technology, the fact that this card requires the use of a PCI-E slot renders this device near useless for most desktop owners. Think about it, if you're a classic single PCI-E board owner, then chances are it's already occupied by your graphics card. There would be no point in upgrading to a board that has more than one because then you may as well just upgrade to the damn USB3 board anyways.Nobody would buy a dual or even triple PCI-e board without using it for a specific purpose (E.g. Crossfire/SLI) so what's the point!? Am I the only one to realise this!?[/citation]

I have one graphics card with ports for two more 16x ports. My brother has one card with two ports. I know of at least two other people who have simular setups. People often build systems with the intent to upgrade them later on but by the time they can afford another high end card the next line of GPUS is out and you can get one of those for the same price and get better performance. Also, some people like to have extra ports just in case they are ever needed.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]twistedtomsky_01[/nom]Though PCI would be far too slow for this technology, the fact that this card requires the use of a PCI-E slot renders this device near useless for most desktop owners. Think about it, if you're a classic single PCI-E board owner, then chances are it's already occupied by your graphics card. There would be no point in upgrading to a board that has more than one because then you may as well just upgrade to the damn USB3 board anyways.Nobody would buy a dual or even triple PCI-e board without using it for a specific purpose (E.g. Crossfire/SLI) so what's the point!? Am I the only one to realise this!?[/citation]

You do realize that this card can slot into a PCI-E slot and not a PCI-Ex16 (which graphics cards use) slot? A lot of motherboards have at least one available PCI-E slot nowadays, even if they don't have an available PCI-E x16 slot.

_h2o_

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pckoloji.com%2Fdosya-konulari%2F12406-ilk-usb-3-0-harici-sabit-diskle-teknoloji-testi.html&sl=tr&tl=en&history_state0=

Asus U3S6 review. Vantec's usb 3.0 external hdd box has been used for usb 3.0 technology test.

G

only linux supports usb 3.0 everyone else in the windoze world will have to wait for a SP witch is why intel is waiting to implement it just yet!

grichie5

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I just installed the Asus USB PCIe card in my HP computer.Hooked it to an Azio Storage dock via a usb 3 cable. Hard Drive is Seagate 7200.12 750 Gb.A 100 gb drive system image was backed up using Acronis. Back up took 16 minutes, compared to the 60-70 minutes it took with the same set up using usb 2. Operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.