ASUS M4A89GTD Pro + GTX 460 Geforce = no video?

scifiguy20904

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I've got an ASUS M4A89GTD PRO Mobo, AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM ULTRA 750W PSU and am trying to use a GeForce GTX 460 video card. I've got the VGA switch card in the PCIex16_1 slot and the graphics card on the Blue PCIe X16 slot. The two 4-pin PCIe connectors are connected from the power supply. The machine seems to post (get flash on the keyboard and mouse light on, drives powered up, etc) but no video output.

I tried to buy a different GTX 460, but got the same results.

The mobo video works when there's no gtx 460 in.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on?

scifiguy20904

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I tried it in the white slot, but it didn't appear to help. BTW, the manual says the blue slot is the primary.

ArcaneFlash

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I have the M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 W/ EVGA GTX 460 SC EE.

Last monday, my computer crashed to a black screen while playing LotRO. It would suddenly go black with a racing fan. Turbine suggested several changes such as changing fps from 121+ to 57. It worked for a while in xp. However I had been having issues with win 7 and do a fresh install. Before when it went to black, I still had system power. After reinstall of win 7, i had catastrophic system failure. it went black and froze. i could not restart the computer. i had 3 led lights on the motherboard. when i first turn on the computer from the power supply and turned on the LEDs, and then I hit the main power button on first I got a very quick flash of red light and nothing powered.

In the end after trying a second power supply, I removed the 460 and controller card and everything worked just fine. I even tested an EVGA 8600 GTS and it worked, however my computer only thinks it has 16 mb video RAM.

Questions, Is my Card Fried or just a conflict?

Why does my computer not recognize all of the onboard video memory?

Thanks,
AF

ArcaneFlash

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Well, LotRO has noticed an issue with overclocked, especially factory overclocked cards.

What I found interesting is after reinstalling my 8600 gts, however I have yet to encounter a serious graphics issue.

the same video drivers and 460 GTX will result in the video drivers crashing during LotRO. I can't explain the issue.