ASUS M5A88-V EVO keyboard POST BIOS problem

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
Keyboard is not handled in appropriate way.
Mainboard has a combo PS/2 port. Regular Compaq keyboard was not recognized by this.
Mainboard did not recognize the mentioned keyboard, nor after attaching a PS/2 to USB adapter and connecting it to USB port ; so BIOS was not accesible.
Asked from a friend a genuine USB keyboard, made some BIOS settings (boot sequence, memory frequency) and was able to install Win7 from CD-drive.
Now, the POST halts -- during POST it seems that the keyboard is obstructing the process.

It seems that will never allow me to enter BIOS, as keyboard is not recognized by BIOS.

I tried several USB ports (backside, directly connected to MB) or from PC-front.

If the keyboard is removed from USB during start-up, the BIOS makes progress trough POST and eventually, after booting and loading Windows till a certain phase, keyboard becomes again functional.
I checked : the mainboard came with latest BIOS available.

I would be grateful for your kind help,
Emma

Solution
I have seen this.
In the bios there will be an option for legacy usb devices, it must be set to enabled in the bios menu. The problem should then be resolved with your keyboard.

chriss000

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Re set cmos to clear bios to factory. Then enter bios and look for usb power up , turn to on. Look thru bios usb options for kboard support, obviously you want it to look for usb in front of ps/2 board for further bios adaption.
Check manual for settings , but try not to cry at the translations, it can be tedious to work out whats what.

chriss000

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Well done! I had the same prob with this board, but couldnt remember what the option was! Top banana you are correct!

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
chriss000,

you have the same mainboard ?
ASUS M5A88-V EVO

I would be happy to be able to use a PS/2 keyboard -- do you think there is a way to make the board to recognize it ??

Emma

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013

Part of problems was solved using hints from your response.
After entering BIOS : "Advanced" ; step to " Advanced PCIPnP"
"Plug And Play O/S" set "Yes"
then
in "USB Configuration" set "Legacy USB Support" from "Auto" to "Enabled"

BIOS did not easily set back to initial values : clearing memory only with the jumper was not enough : only after removing battery for some minutes went back to a state were it received input from keyboard.

Now a USB keyboard works both in BIOS, enabling further settings // after boot work with the OS
------------------------

Still my PS/2 keyboard is not recognised : no LED is up on the keyboard -- seems like getting not 'power'
Any hope for solving ?
I am quite sad because of this.

Emma

1 May 2014
Still not able to figure out the PS2 problem.

MIJ-VI

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Have you tried a different PS/2 keyboard?

I no longer use a PS/2 keyboard with my M5A88-V EVO because I don't like that Asus put the PS/2 port at the top of the USB 2.0 / PS/2 port stack.

Plugging and unplugging any of the various PS/2 keyboards that I own into that port requires more force than it takes to plug in a USB keyboard. This additional force puts more strain on the port stack's solder joints.

Besides, with all of the Asus motherboards I have owned thus far a USB keyboard does everything well.

However a PS/2 keyboard is mandatory for reliably accessing the BIOS on Gigabyte motherboards IME.

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
Hi MIJ-VI,

I am thankful for your response.

Former mainboard that I had made me problems after crash : did not recognise USB keyboard. It was Gigabyte GA-7VT880(-L).
So, as precaution, I was thinking of making a safer arrangement with a PS/2 keyboard (besides the fact that I really like the PS/2 Compaq keyboard that I used).

Reading your post relieved me regarding the USB use of ASUS.

I am grateful for your kind help.
Emma