ASUS M5A99FX won't post - bent CPU pins corrected

schnoogens

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
I'm on my 2nd build and I can get the computer fans to spin and the green LEDs are on my graphics card and motherboard but my CPU light is red. No post, nothing on my monitor.

I'm not sure when it happened - if it was as I was taking the stock fan off or if I installed it wrong the first time, but I managed to bend some pins on the CPU (I realized this after I started looking for solutions). Through meticulous work with a sewing pin, credit card, and mechanical pencil, I have straightened all pins on the CPU. However - same problem, won't post and I get the red light.

Here are my specs:

AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHZ
ASUS M5A99FX Pro 2.0
Kingston Hyper X (2 x 4 GB) DDR3
Asus GEForce 750TI 2GB
Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze

I have a new CPU on the way but wanted to hear if anyone knows if I could have possibly damaged my motherboard by having the CPU inserted incorrectly?

Here is what I have done so far:

Reset CMOS (battery and the pins)
Checked all connections to/from PSU
Validated the RAM was inserted correctly
Validated the GPU was inserted correctly
Checked that the motherboard was in fact plugged in to PSU
Reapplied thermal paste and ensured the CPU could fit into motherboard properly (with pins straight)

I also have a mini speaker to attach to motherboard arriving tomorrow to check for beeps.

Thanks!

schnoogens

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

You don't think the motherboard would be damaged? I have a new CPU arriving today so I hope that simply does the trick.

schnoogens

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
The new CPU arrived today and it immediately posted upon installation. I must have done more damage to the first one than I had thought (no missing pins, but maybe very slightly bent?).

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
The signs of a dead CPU are usually an infinite power loop. Fans will spin for 1 second then go off, rinse and repeat.

The 6300 is one tough CPU, I've thrown 1.7 volts at it and it didn't sweat it. Nice job frying one.