Question Asus Maximus Extreme VI - Can this board work with RGB Fans?

Feb 17, 2024
Ive installed all my parts into my new fractal case, the case fans spin fine but the RGB lights do not come on.

The built in fans have a 3 pin header(see pic #2), which Ive inserted into 4 pin slots on my mobo, at random - some CHA_FAN, some OPT_FAN
I also daisy chained at random the unusual 3 + 1 pin connectors(see pic #1), which I assume control the RGB lights.

Also the power button doesnt work so I have to use direct motherboard button to turn on PC.

Is this a case the motherboard wont suit the RGB? or can I get it to work somehow

Rb0kM9A.jpeg

NSP1Dy4.jpeg

Lutfij

Titan
Fractal have a number of cases in their product portfolio, which one do you have? The fan's 3pin connector is right to go onto any of your multiple fan headers, which are denoted by a 3 on page 1-7 in your motherboard manual;
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ximus_VI_Extreme.pdf?model=MAXIMUS VI EXTREME

As for your inline RGB controller, did that come with your case or is it courtesy of fans that you added onto the build?

Reactions: Lisa97
Feb 17, 2024
temp.png

I noticed this connector coming from the case front panel, I havnt found a suitable slot for it on my mobo.

Is this required for the RGB part of the fans?

Lutfij

Titan
We're still flying blind with the model of your Fractal case. You might want to take other pictures of the connector you posted above so as to make sure we're both seeing the same thing and not misinterpreting info. Looks like a SATA power input...then again, we'll be able to confirm with the model of the case and the connector.

Reactions: Lisa97
Feb 17, 2024
We're still flying blind with the model of your Fractal case. You might want to take other pictures of the connector you posted above so as to make sure we're both seeing the same thing and not misinterpreting info. Looks like a SATA power input...then again, we'll be able to confirm with the model of the case and the connector.

@Lutfij

Fractal pop air xl - https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/pop/pop-xl-air/rgb-black-tg-clear/

you correct thats a sata power connector, plugged into header but the RGB LEDS still do not come on, all 4 fans are spinning

Also, I do not have a controller with my case, provided only those fan power connectors and the daisy chain connectors, which are all connected.

Does it matter which order the daisy chain links are connected?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
https://www.fractal-design.com/app/uploads/2023/02/Pop-XL-Manual-V1.pdf
Page 21, the case comes with an RGB controller bunded into the case. Your board doesn't have an ARGB nor RGB header since the board is from ages ago.

Does it matter which order the daisy chain links are connected?
They can only go in one way.

Please don't delete content out of a thread, it only makes it worse for the user in the same boat as you're in now. This is all to help people caught in a bind.