[SOLVED] Asus Maximus IV with NVMe expansion card? Bootable or even usable?

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I have acquired a few M.2 drives as they sell for my next build. Can I use some of those on my 2013 build on an expansion card, and attain NVMe speeds? I do have a GTX780 in first 16x slot, and speccy says A2 slot is in use, but nothing in there. So I thought I could put an expansion card and say a WD black 512 or samsung 950 pro in there to be a boot drive, etc. Is it wishfull thinking, or can I get the full NVMe usage this way? Thank you, Larry T. Card I am looking at is ASUS Hyper M.2 X 16 V@.

Solution
The wifi card slot uses mini-pcie, not m2, plus it only has 1 pcie lane so you will get 1/4 the speed of the NVME drive from it should you find an M2 adapter for it.
You're better off with a sata drive.

Good way to think out of the box though!

popatim

Titan
NVME is Not officially supported on your board and I doubt there is any mod'ed bios available to get that adapter card working either, your chipset just doesn't have the hardware to support what it would need to work.
So using a generic PCIe adapter card you could get them going as a non-booting drives.

Reactions: LTVETTE2

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Thank you, I was afraid of that. The old z87 chipset is what I believe is there, and I thank you for helping me save a ton of time trying to get and older system up to todays performance. I will settle with what I have.

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I just found that there is a M.2 drive slot on the wifi card, but the drive is too long to fit in this spot. Short of removing heat guards, which would mean disassembling system pretty much. They were planning for a new type drive, and it even takes up 4 lanes while disabling sata 5 port. Just a question of shoving it in there (not a way I like to work) But my M.2 dive fits in slot perfectly.....

popatim

Titan
The wifi card slot uses mini-pcie, not m2, plus it only has 1 pcie lane so you will get 1/4 the speed of the NVME drive from it should you find an M2 adapter for it.
You're better off with a sata drive.

Good way to think out of the box though!

Solution

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I agree, I have the drives for next build. Just when I saw the slot labeled NGFF and the drive fits in slot, I figured I found a little secret. Alas, with drive in place, card won't fit due to length hitting heat spreaders. Just was too early for this advancement....