Asus Maximus IX Hero Shutting Down USB Ports

Roger3006

Reputable
May 22, 2015
I hope this finds Y'all well.

All my USB ports shut down intermittently. They almost always shut down during a benchmark test and they will shutdown at idle. The ports are only off for a second and then right back on.

I am a photographer. I shoot tethered meaning my camera transfers 90MB files to the computer via USB 3.0 cable. It always seems to happen during a transfer throws a wrench in the gears. It is also unnerving when the USBs shut down while editing an image (brush) or typing. All my drivers, firmware and OS are up to date. The machine passes 8 hours on RealBench stress test.

I can't remember where to generate all my computer details. You will find the basics below. If anyone can tell me how to do that I will include everything.

Intel i7 7700K 4.2GZ ) OC to 4.9GZ
Asus Maximus IX Hero
32 GB Corsair 3200 Ram
(2) X MSI GeForce GTX 980 ti
AIO 280MM

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you!

Roger3006

Roger3006

Reputable
May 22, 2015
Thank you. That is something I have not checked; however, it was disabled. I am at the end of my rope. Something is telling me it might be in my motherboard.

The reply is very much appreciated.

Roger3006

Reputable
May 22, 2015
I have tried everything including a fresh install of Windows. There were other factors in the mix. I also flashed the BIOS in my motherboard. Everything is up to date, drivers, firmware etc.

I am a photographer and use the machine professionally. There have been multiple problems with this build and everything is pointing to the motherboard/BIOS. This machine is very close to getting scrapped. Downtime and redoes are killing me.

It is unnerving when things are going great while sending 90mb image files via USB 3 and you realize nothing is happening five shots later.

Roger3006

Reputable
May 22, 2015
I checked almost all the USB ports. I forgot about the internal USB 2 hub that connects my PSU, AIO Pump and my outboard front ports. It is magnetic and sits on top of my PSU. Out of sight, out of mind. I disconnected it and the problem stopped. The strange part was it shut down all the USB ports.

Up until about ten days ago my monitors were shutting down also. Video driver would not always load which caused plenty of problems. OpenCL stopped working which all but stopped production. OpenCL would not work with five different cards one being AMD. Internal video did see OpenCL. That prompted me to do a fresh install on Windows 10 64 Pro which cured my video problem. I originally thought they might be related.

I was one inch from building another machine which I did not want to do at this time. Well, up until today anyway. Y'all will see many questions from me on my new build. I am starting to research custom loop cooling.

Thank you very much for your help.