Asus maximus vi formula and cpu coolers

Konza

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Hello all!
So the problem is, Im getting new computer in few days and I came upon possible problem within the build. The said mobo, Asus maximus vi formula got huge backplate, which got hole for cpu cooler backplates. After going through some forums, I found that someone could not fit Bequiet! Dark rock pro 2 coolers plate through the mobo backplate.

Dark rock pro 3 is shipping in week or so, but there is no word if the coolers mounting system is any different from older version.

So, can anyone suggest fitting cpu cooler for my build?

Everything will be assembled inside the Silverstone FT02 case.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($288.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($164.64 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($339.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Silverstone FT02B-W ATX Mid Tower Case ($272.61 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Headphones: Sennheiser PC360 Headset ($166.60 @ Newegg)
Total: $2094.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-13 01:17 EST-0500)

You can go for a pre-built liquid cooler but they are far more expensive then air coolers and don't exceed performance in such a massive way. I can suggest two (both as good as each other) A Thermaltake FRIO extreme or a Noctura NH-D14, both exceptional and top of the range in their class, These are top class coolers and perform very close to the bequite dark rock pro 2 for a better price.

tstaff

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
There is actually a very simple solution to your problem without having the change any of your components (to include your CPU cooler).

The ROG armor (as it's referred to on the Maximus VI Formula) is consumer removable by simply unscrewing the screws from the backplate. These screws go through the pcb and actuall screw into the ROG armor on the front side of the motherboard so your not going to mess anything up by doing this. Once you have the ROG armor and backplate removed, insert your Bequiet! Dark rock pro 2 cooler plate onto the motherboard then reassemble the ROG armor and backplate. Problem solved!!

JasminTheMarquis

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
You can remove the Formula's backplate VERY easily (took me a minute) without voiding warranty and the Dark Rock Pro 2's backplate fits undearneath it, with the Asus team confirming that it is safe.

However there's bad news I'm afraid. I've picked up Dark Rock Pro 3 a couple of hours ago and tried mounting it on the Asus VI Formula - the back plate fits just barelly (the mobo backplate actually bends about 1mm when you mount it over Dark Rock Pro 3), however it is impossible to mount the 2 brackets holding the cooler from the front - one of them is blocked by the VRM heatsink.

I've tried mounting it on my MSI Big Bang Xpower with lga1366 - same problem, front brackets get stuck on the VRM heatsinks. However beastly it looks, I'm forced to return it :(

Noctua's NH-D14 is confirmed to be compatible with the Asus VI Formula so I guess I will be going for it.