Asus Maximus VI Gene - Q-Code 71 After fixing attempts

jroc38

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
My computer, for the past few months, has struggled to boot with Q-code 71 on my Asus Maximus VI Gene. Generally, I was able to power on the computer, but the system wouldn't boot and I would have a blank screen. This was only alleviated by restarting over and over until the system booted, and it would usually work after about 3 attempts.

I tried removing all but one of my RAM cards and re-inserting my CPU. Unfortunately, this did not do anything to fix the problem.

Today I looked at this thread;

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2435897/asus-maximus-formula-code-hung.html

...and decided to try using the Clear CMOS button on the back of the motherboard while the power was running. Now, the system does not boot at all and I'm stuck with Q-Code 71.

I would appreciate any help with this, because it's been stumping me for a while. I'm nowhere near an expert with this kind of thing.

jroc38

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow when I get home.

jroc38

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

So I checked the mobo, and it was fine (besides using the wrong type of screw for one of the holes, but i replaced it so its fine).

After checking the CPU socket, I found that one of the CPU pins was bent out of alignment (pointing in the usual direction, but it appears to be slouching downwards). After checking the internet I found that some people had the same issue as me, and that it's possible to fix the pin.

Can you recommend a safe way that I can unbend the pin?

jroc38

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

I just downloaded a fresh BIOS version (under suspicion of corruption of my previous) from the provider's website and transferred it to my computer via USB. Named the file appropriately, pressed and held the ROG transfer button until the light began flashing to signal the update. Once I powered on the computer, it booted up without a hitch.

Thanks for the help!