ASUS Maximus VI Hero; Can't access UEFI bios

Invrlose

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012
My build is in the signature.

I have a PC with an ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard. For 4+ years I have been able to access the UEFI bios fine. Nothing has changed in my setup. Same microphone, keyboard, mouse, GPU, monitor, etc. since I originally built the PC.

I had a mild overclock to my i5 4670k and one day I decided I wasn't getting the frames I would like in Arma 3, my temps were cool and I could get some more performance out of the machine by bumping it up a little more.

When I start the PC and I mash F2 or Del, it just goes to a black screen. The PC is running, the monitor is on, keyboard, mouse, etc. are on, I am just staring at a black screen.

I have tried all obvious things like using different cables, unplugging everything except KB+M, different monitor ports, different keyboards, different monitors, flashing to a different BIOS version, etc. I unplugged the CMOS battery and I still can not access UEFI BIOS, with the added benefit of having my overclock reset so now a lot of games where my CPU was just at the edge of acceptable like Arma 3, I have taken massive frame hits.

This is very frustrating! Thank you.

Solution
on my z77 sabertooth. i wont go into bios on a reboot. the asus bios is so slow that you have to smash the f2 /del key when you power up the pc. windows 10 if you hold the shift key down and hit restart and bring up start up options there is a selection to boot into efi bios it may be under advance boot options. one other thing is use the usb flashback port. put the newest bios file on it and run it twice for both bios.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Worst Case scenario, the chip holding the BIOS information on the motherboard is dead. (Not the end of the world it can be fixed but not easily) However I don't think it would be that. Did you perform any sort of BIOS update or download anything sketchy recently?

if you have an hdmi monitor and or cable plug it into the mb see if the display set in the bios is set to auto/ipgpu or peg. if it auto or ipgpu then the bios screen going to be shown out the mb video port and not the gpu. if you dont have a monitor or cable asus make a bios changing program for inside of windows that on your mb software page.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I don't believe that's the case as in my BIOS on my 3rd gen CPU it's set to the IGPU and the BIOS displays fine over my GPU.

Invrlose

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012

I said I tried different cables, that includes HDMI, DVI(My main one) and displayport. Off of the GPU and the MOBO.

Invrlose

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012

No I have not downloaded anyhthing sketchy. The problem existed before I messed with updating or changing the BIOS version.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

I don't think the BIOS itself is corrupt, because the PC still boots. When booting the motherboard's BIOS will go through and check to make sure all the hardware is detected right and to apply overclock's and such before handing off control to the OS, so I don't think your board is trashed yet.

on my z77 sabertooth. i wont go into bios on a reboot. the asus bios is so slow that you have to smash the f2 /del key when you power up the pc. windows 10 if you hold the shift key down and hit restart and bring up start up options there is a selection to boot into efi bios it may be under advance boot options. one other thing is use the usb flashback port. put the newest bios file on it and run it twice for both bios.

Solution