[SOLVED] Asus Maximus VIII Hero wont post with A1 or A2 ram slot inserted

_C_H_R

Prominent
Jan 13, 2022
Hi I recently build a pc using older components that I have for NAS purpose, and whenever I insert any ram stick on A1 or A2 slot (with or without B1 & B2 inserted) the PC wont boot into BIOS, either gets error code 49 then 01 and 03, or stuck on code CC.
I tried clear CMOS, testing every single ram (works if insert on B1 or B2 or both), unplug everything that is not necessary leaving just MB, PSU, CPU and a m2 SSD, but no luck.
What else can I try to do? or is it just faulty Board?

Here are my specs
CPU: Intel i5-7500
Ram: Ramaxel 8gb *4 2400mhz
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero z170

Thanks for helping!

Solution
Heres a image of CPU socket seems like there is little bent pin over the top right corner, and from ur image it is related to ddr0, is that the problem causing A1 A2 not working?
View: https://imgur.com/a/TD5aX9t
so only 1 pin is misaligned? seems this is shorting the pins next to it, this should be an easy job, you could re allign it using a tweezer but just need to be careful

when you're about to allign it back, make sure it does face the same angle as the other pins (in this case, you're going to allign it to the left, just use a little force and be precise). if it's done, make sure the height of the pin is the same as the others. if it's not, lift the pin (dont lift the pads, just the pin...
Hi I recently build a pc using older components that I have for NAS purpose, and whenever I insert any ram stick on A1 or A2 slot (with or without B1 & B2 inserted) the PC wont boot into BIOS, either gets error code 49 then 01 and 03, or stuck on code CC.
I tried clear CMOS, testing every single ram (works if insert on B1 or B2 or both), unplug everything that is not necessary leaving just MB, PSU, CPU and a m2 SSD, but no luck.
What else can I try to do? or is it just faulty Board?

Here are my specs
CPU: Intel i5-7500
Ram: Ramaxel 8gb *4 2400mhz
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero z170

Thanks for helping!
either a faulty board or the ram slots are dirty or check the mobo pins, or the imc is dying.

How can I clean the ram slot? and about the Pin, does a board works normally with like 1 or 2 bent pin?
a broken pin is either effecting or not. this is LGA 1151 (not v2) pinout. Try to figure out which causes it. To straighten out a bent pin, you need to be very careful and NOT to bend it too many times, you have to use a tweezer that is not too thick, better use the straight tweezer with sharp tip, i used this and it works (revived a z68 board just yesterday). To clean the ram slots you could blow it with camera lens blower.
448500_skylake_kaby_pin_diagram_damaged_pins_outlined.png

_C_H_R

Prominent
Jan 13, 2022
a broken pin is either effecting or not. this is LGA 1151 (not v2) pinout. Try to figure out which causes it. To straighten out a bent pin, you need to be very careful and NOT to bend it too many times, you have to use a tweezer that is not too thick, better use the straight tweezer with sharp tip, i used this and it works (revived a z68 board just yesterday). To clean the ram slots you could blow it with camera lens blower.
448500_skylake_kaby_pin_diagram_damaged_pins_outlined.png
Heres a image of CPU socket seems like there is little bent pin over the top right corner, and from ur image it is related to ddr0, is that the problem causing A1 A2 not working?

so only 1 pin is misaligned? seems this is shorting the pins next to it, this should be an easy job, you could re allign it using a tweezer but just need to be careful

when you're about to allign it back, make sure it does face the same angle as the other pins (in this case, you're going to allign it to the left, just use a little force and be precise). if it's done, make sure the height of the pin is the same as the others. if it's not, lift the pin (dont lift the pads, just the pin arm) to the same height as others, or just a LITTLE bit higher (not high enough, just a little tiny bit higher) from other pins. Make sure the misalligned pin is facing the same angle, and the pad is the same or a little tiny bit higher than from other pins.

post a photo of the socket when you've done that.

Last edited:
Solution

_C_H_R

Prominent
Jan 13, 2022

when you're about to allign it back, make sure it does face the same angle as the other pins (in this case, you're going to allign it to the left, just use a little force and be precise). if it's done, make sure the height of the pin is the same as the others. if it's not, lift the pin (dont lift the pads, just the pin arm) to the same height as others, or just a LITTLE bit higher (not high enough, just a little tiny bit higher) from other pins. Make sure the misalligned pin is facing the same angle, and the pad is the same or a little tiny bit higher than from other pins.

post a photo of the socket when you've done that.

Very thanks Koekieezz!! with a tweezer I put a bit more force and it went just right in one try to the correct spot! and 4 dims working like a charm!!

Reactions: Koekieezz
Very thanks Koekieezz!! with a tweezer I put a bit more force and it went just right in one try to the correct spot! and 4 dims working like a charm!!
just make sure when you reseat the cpu (twice or trice, test it without heatsink and immidiately go to bios, and force shut down), all dimms working. sometimes it's a 1 time job and if you reseat the cpu or change into any cpu, it just wont boot.

But if the pins are in the correct way you see it, reseated twice or trice, and still working, then congrats, no money spent :D

Enjoy your "fixed" board ;)

_C_H_R

Prominent
Jan 13, 2022
just make sure when you reseat the cpu (twice or trice, test it without heatsink and immidiately go to bios, and force shut down), all dimms working. sometimes it's a 1 time job and if you reseat the cpu or change into any cpu, it just wont boot.

But if the pins are in the correct way you see it, reseated twice or trice, and still working, then congrats, no money spent :D

Enjoy your "fixed" board ;)
:ROFLMAO: Did that trice, from that page of notifying me the Ram has changed, to BIOS, then put back everything to the case and boot third time. Thanks!!!!!

Reactions: Koekieezz