Asus May Be Developing an Android Game Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Controller is nice, but otherwise it's not anymore impressive than Mad CatZ M.O.J.O. or Nvidia's SHIELD so it's nothing too exciting.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
By the controller is nice comment I was referring to the play-station style D-Pad which I personally feel is the best D-Pad around.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I've got a Nvidia Shield, and honestly, the rest of these android consoles feel inferior. Nvidia's Console can do much more than these consoles, and it comes with a screen to boot.Streaming my PC Games is one thing, but Nvidia has the best game button mapping system on the market. Its has HUGE support from the emulator developers, and it can essentially become a N64, PS2, Game Boy (all of them), or PSP at a whims notice.Additionally if you install Unified Remote, you can basically control your whole setup from your bed.I cant wait for the new version. I really hope they add a bigger higher res display, Nvidia K1 Chip, Camera (front and back), and IR Blaster (for remote purposes). The controller quality is already phenomenal.

edmoncu

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Asus should have just focused on building a more powerful steambox rather than the stagnant and redundant android gaming market.

Datcu Alexandru

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
On a side note by phone has better specs, better resolution (full 1080p). A big screen (6.9). And can be connected to a tv and a gamepad.What is the point of this console again?

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Whys everybody storming the atari market clone from the 2$ store.I mean i like those retro, a bit games with 200 classics for 50$, but why the repeat with android.

edmoncu

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Not to mention the proliferation of android tablets and phones where you have more freedom to play games...With ouya, it's kinda good because they made a unique console out of android. With shield, it set itself apart from ouya by bringing portability, and pc streaming gaming.But this one? Do you need another console to plug where? Especially after the release of this gen's consoles.And the specs are nothing anything spectacular at all.Asus wasted its time with this garbage

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Lets hope they don't flood the market too bad with all these 'gadget' game systems out there. Last time the game market got over flooded, we ended up with a crash.....

Machinegun Kelly

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
If Android really wants to make a game console why not just release an app or have phones with features built in to accommodate this? USB-to-HDMI support natively and native bluetooth controller support and BAM, you have an Android game console.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Good point. I've never really understood this either. Currently when you connect most phones via HDMI, the UI is simply mirrored onto the second screen in the same resolution with no scaling. Also, there is no way to turn the phone screen off during this process.

Phones should be able to have a "docked" mode in which a screen scaled to the resolution and size of the display is show only on the secondary display.

ricegf

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Actually, Android 4.3 is Jelly Bean. Kit Kat is Android 4.4. Please determine which, and fix the article. Thanks!

Machinegun Kelly

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

They have a long way to go and I don't understand why this feature hasn't been explored more. Especially if Google released an official gamepad and cables to be sold separately, as would HTC and Samsung, etc. And if they don't want to work just contact the trusty folks at Logitech who have a history of being contracted out for official parts to OEMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.