Question Asus MB M4A77TD PRO constant beep from headphones

May 3, 2022
Asus motherboard M4A77TD PRO has a constant high pitch beep-beep coming from the front panel wired headphones (Tried a few pairs). Sounds like a backup beeper on a truck.
Through the gaming headphones it's pretty low but if I record with the mic it's pretty loud. Don't hear it through the speakers. The case has a AC97 front panel and everything is set to that setting. Have all the latest available drivers. I've attached short audio clips to demonstrate what it sounds like. Any ideas why it's happening and what might fix it?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Interesting.

Just a few immediate questions:

Did the problem just suddenly start. New motherboard/build, replacement? Any hardware or software changes beforehand?

You hear the beeps independent of the headphones or headsets being used - correct?

If you use back panel (I/O plate) connections do you still hear the beeps? (Change the audio settings if necessary.)

If you play music, watch videos, etc. (anything with audio) does the beeping stop or just continue in the background as in your voice over testing count?

As for the drivers - were they manually downloaded directly from the applicable manufacturer's websites, installed, and configured accordingly. No third party tools or utilities used.

If you look in Task Manager or Resource Monitor do you see any resource that changes with the sound pattern?

May 3, 2022
I mispoke, the old MB was a M4A77TD PRO. In it now is a used Asus M5A97 R2.0 MB. I picked it up on ebay. I'm thinking it came to me with this beeping problem. Previous Asus MB in same case didn't have the issue so I don't think it's the AC97 front panel, unless there is an incompatibility with this M5A97 R2.0 MB.
It's running Win10 Pro on a new Sandisk 512GB SSD. CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz, 8GB Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz). Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti. Power supply is Thermaltake TR2-600W, a few years old. The MB sound is Realtek High Definition Audio. Realtek 887 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC.
All drivers done manually from appropriate websites. I rerouted all cables in case it's picking up noise, didn't help. Beep happens on 3 pairs of plugin headphones. Back panel audio is perfect. Doesn't matter if audio is playing, still get the beeps.
It's my Wife's PC so I don't get much time to look at it...lol. In the short term I've put on a USB sound adapter and that works great, she's happy, so that's good. I may pick up a HD audio front panel to slip into a drive bay and disconnect the stock AC97 front panel in the case to see if that makes a difference.

May 3, 2022
That board has HD front panel connection no AC97 so if you have ac 97 connector connected to the board they are incompatible and would explain the strange sound.
The board has settings for AC97 and HD audio in bios. The sound app asscoiated with the driver has the settings for both as well. Not saying that there may not still be some incompatibility but the board claims to support both. Copied this from the manual.

May 3, 2022
No idea of the brand name now, it's probably 10 or more years old. I'm sure HD audio didn't exist in its era. The previous generation Asus MB had the same bios/app setup and worked perfectly when set to AC97.

May 3, 2022
Then the case must be older than 2004...lol. If I recall correctly I had originally put a MSI K8T Neo2 (MS-6702E v1.X) in that case. I think it was released in 2004. It's manual only mentions AC97 in it. I'm sure the front panel board in case only supports AC97.