Question ASUS MB stuck with "bios is updating. do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure."

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2021
My settings are:
  • ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI
  • Intel® Core™ i9-11900KF
  • Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 1TB
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2x16GB)
  • ASUS Dual GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER
  • Windows 10 Home 32-bit 64-bit Swedish USB (Retail).
Hi, whenever I start my newly built PC, I get message "bios is updating. do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure." The original BIOS worked fine in the beginning, and Win10 was installed successfully. But then I'm afraid I might have pressed clear CMOS and/or BIOS flashback button by mistake when a display cable was loose and there might have been something on the screen that I should have seen but didn't.
I have tried all the ways I can think of including the ones below below but still get same message. On MB the BIOS led is lighted and according to ASUS general MB documentation it means this: "BOOT LED light is always ON after power on [indicates no boot device(etc:HDD/SSD) or boot device faulty]". I have a M.2 SSD boot drive but I doubt
  • Cleared CMOS both by MB button, and removing battery for hours
  • Removed and reinserted RAM and M.2 SSD.
  • Used BIOS FlashBack with FAT32 USB-stick with latest BIOS from ASUS (ROG-STRIX-Z590-F-GAMING-WIFI-ASUS-0708.CAP renamed to SZ590F.CAP). When doing so, the BIOS led starts blinking constantly for about 6-7 minutes and then it is not lightened anymore. I assume there is a BIOS update installed after that but when my PC is restarted, I first get the usual "press del/f2" to enter bios, but pressing any of those keys have no affect, and then I get the "bios is updating..." message again and the PC is stuck.
I have also contacted ASUS support, but no working answer yet from them...

Last edited:

zztide55

Honorable
Aug 24, 2017
To anyone experiencing this "freaking out" issue? I just did an ASUS Flashback bios update. On first boot? Says this message as the OP is saying (it's why I ended up in this thread). It said don't turn off, so I left it. The computer restarted. Dammit, the exact same message? It said don't turn off, so I left it. It restarted again. And? INTO THE OS! The original USB drive for the update was removed prior to any of this. My point is? I think just let the motherboard do it's thing and don't panic. Mine too 2 times. Might have been 3? I had to turn away to be honest. I didn't want a bricked X99-A. The fact is? This was a used motherboard, no RAM I tried would work. But this damn bios flashback DID WORK. None of the guides out there mention anything about that first boot and the message(s) about not restarting, the bios is updating. It's called a leap of faith. Hoping for the best. Just don't disrupt whatever seems out of the ordinary or what might appear like a loop of hell. In my case? It wasn't hell. It was just the ASUS motherboard trying to scare the S out of my and make me blink.
How long did you wait, and which bios did you use? As in was it the newest update or the original one?

Status
Not open for further replies.