[SOLVED] ASUS Merlin not showing static ip addresses

zillah

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Dear folk

Main router at home is ASUS RT-AC5300 Merlin (v384.19) this router has :

- ASUS PoE switch (192.168.10.2) connected wired to it
-Two other routers connected wired to it as well acting as access point to extend the wireless signal (192.168.10.3 & 192.168.10.4)

On ASUS RT-AC5300 under Network Map --> View List I can't find those 3 ip addresses ?

Thx

Solution
Try to ping them from the merlin firmware. I suspect all that means is there is no arp entry for them. Those IP addresses are not actually being used on a regular basis. They only purpose is to allow you to manage the devices. If you are not actually managing them the ARP entry times out. Even then the ARP entry is on your PC and not on the router so I am unsure without digging through the code how merlin knows that is connected. It is not using a ping scanner or something so it would have to detect traffic.

Part of the confusing people have with a switch/ap is that they do not actually use IP addresses at all. The traffic that is passing through them is only using the MAC addresses of the end devices. Even the...

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Dear folk

Main router at home is ASUS RT-AC5300 Merlin (v384.19) this router has :

- ASUS PoE switch (192.168.10.2) connected wired to it
-Two other routers connected wired to it as well acting as access point to extend the wireless signal (192.168.10.3 & 192.168.10.4)

On ASUS RT-AC5300 under Network Map --> View List I can't find those 3 ip addresses ?

Thx
Are you checking on all 3 bandwidths?

Try to ping them from the merlin firmware. I suspect all that means is there is no arp entry for them. Those IP addresses are not actually being used on a regular basis. They only purpose is to allow you to manage the devices. If you are not actually managing them the ARP entry times out. Even then the ARP entry is on your PC and not on the router so I am unsure without digging through the code how merlin knows that is connected. It is not using a ping scanner or something so it would have to detect traffic.

Part of the confusing people have with a switch/ap is that they do not actually use IP addresses at all. The traffic that is passing through them is only using the MAC addresses of the end devices. Even the switch/ap mac address is not being used the traffic passes through completely transparently. So unless the device is actually using its IP address for something it does not exist in a way. You could actually set those IP addresses to some random value in a different subnet and the device would function fine you just would not be able to manage it.

Solution