Question ASUS Motherboard "the system has POSTed in safe mode"

Sybren-B

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015
I am using an ASUS Maximus XI Hero motherboard with an Intel Core i9 9900K. For the Windows 11 update I updated my bios to the lastest version (1903). After this bios update the PC would not boot and I would get the following message:

The system has POSTed in safe mode.
This may be due to the previous POST attempt failing because of system instability, or if the power button was held in to force the system off.
If the system failed to POST after you made changes to UEFI settings, you may wish to revert to stable settings to prevent POST failure.
Press F1 to Run SETUP

Going into the bios and disabling "Wait for F1 if error" does make the PC boot. The PC wil also boot if I go into the bios and do a boot override to my windows partition. This makes me think it is not hardware related. I also did not make any hardware changes.

I already tried the following:

-Reflash the bios (version 1903)
-Flashing an older bios version (version 1902)
-Restore default settings in bios
-Clearing the CMOS
-Booting into windows safe mode

After all of this failing I tried reseating my memory. I am using four 8GB sticks of HyperX fury memory. I didn't think this would do anything since I have not made any hardware changes to my PC. To my supprise, taking one stick out fixes the problem. It does not matter what stick I take out.

PC boots fine with one, two or three sticks installed. But as soon as I install the fourth, I get the "the system has POSTed in safe mode" message.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try?

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version were you on prior to going to 1903? There's an MEI firmware update listed at the bottom of the BIOS page and that should be installed with respect to BIOS release date, meaning that if the MEI update was prior to say 1901, then you should update the firmware then update the BIOS.

Sybren-B

Honorable
Jan 19, 2015
Thank you for your response! I was using quite on old bios version before, from 2019, I don't know the exact version.

I just installed the lasted MEI version en updated the bios to 1903 again. The problem is still there.

Nov 5, 2021
I am having this same issue. I called ASUS and they kept saying it was a Windows 11 issue. I am wondering if there is a problem with this BIOS version?