Asus non-reference SLI

klaric

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Greetings everyone, this is my first post on Tom's hardware.

Here's my question,

I just built my dream system and everything is looking good aside from being a little uncomfortable with gap between my two cards, or lack of. In concerned they may be too close together and that they may be getting a little too hot.

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58
GPU: ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5

Here's a side pic of the system: http://grab.by/6Ewu . Note that I've removed the divider between the cards and the CPU.

With the system under a load the bottom card runs at about 135 F, while the top card stays at around 157 F. Is this temperature range within reasonable spec for these cards? I also observed that the non reference cards have a traditional heat sync that simply dissipates heat into the surrounding air, while a standard reference card actually extracts air out of the case via the heat sync air tunnel and PCI slot. This may be compounding the issue by leaving stagnant air around the cards. I'm still within the return policy so I can exchange the 460s for a reference card if necessary, although, if my temps are in spec there's no need to at this point.

Thank you very much

Michael

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

Yea, but he won't want to be playing a game while the cards are at 100c for an hour or two.
I can't stand reading gpu temps at ??*F because it always scares me when it says "120*F."
That's why I have everything read to me as celsius for hardware temps >.>