Question ASUS OLED laptop with no screen protection - help!

May 13, 2024
I have a new 16" ROG Zephyrus OLED laptop. Gorgeous except that it doesn't come with any burn-in screen protection as advertised by ASUS. They say all their laptops have built in OLED screen care (pixel refesh) in the sales material but despite this, my particular model doesn't support it for some reason and so it has no pixel refresh - tech support confirmed this. There was no way of telling this before I bought it, so I'm pretty annoyed. Not least because standard warranty doesn't cover burn-in, you have to pay more. So I have to pay more warranty for a product they're not protecting.

I'm really worried about the screen over time without this protection. I do very long days of work. I can set it so screen goes black after 5 minutes and running it at 50% brightness is at least working in the daytime. Hiding the taskbar is not something I want to do. I can't work in dark mode. Should I be worried about burn in without pixel shifting or refreshing? Can I get standalone automatic pixel refreshing software? Am I worrying about nothing here?

I don't know if I should return the machine. It's absolutely perfect otherwise, but it won't be so perfect if it's burned in. I couldn't afford to replace it. What can I try to get ASUS to do given their false advertising?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

IMHO, if the product doesn't meet your requirements, you should think about returning it and picking up one that has what you're looking for instead of going forward with a stop gap solution. You could set your screen to turn off after a min to mitigate but like you've said, it's a stop gap solution not a proper fix.

Perhaps let email and your seller know that this isn't what you paid for, and is false advertising and they might cater to your needs...?

May 13, 2024
thanks - I would like to try and find some form of pixel refresh software but haven't managed to as yet.

I asked ASUS for a list of OLED machines which do have the advertised ASUS OLED Screen Care. They said had no idea.

I'm really in love with the specs of this machine but can't find anything quite like it from a reliable manufacturer anyway. If it wasn't for this, I'd be in love. Now I'm just scared!
  • 16 Inch screen either with pixel protection OLED) or regular screen.
  • RAM / Storage: 32GB DDR5, 1TB SSD
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Home
  • Processor: Intel Core Ultra 9 185H 2.3GHz
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060
  • 2kg or under
It is used for standard work and streaming but also gaming and research/deep learning which is why I'd quite like an ultra chip. Cool quiet running is also important to me, which is another reason why I wanted this machine.