Asus P4P800 - USB device wake-up jumpers question

Hi all,

I'm about to build a new computer, I'm still waiting for the CPU to arrive
so I started skimming through my Asus P4P800 SE mobo manual. Everything
looks nice and easy except for a few little jumpers. I have a Logitech USB
keyboard and I intend to use S3 suspend function (suspend to RAM). I want to
be able to wake the system up for S3 using keyboard.
On page 2-21 there is USB device wake-up info regarding two sets of jumpers
("USBPW12 USBPW34" and "USBPW56 USBPW78").
"USBPW12 USBPW34" jumpers set the wake-up function for USB ports no 1,2,3
and 4. The latter repsectvely for ports 5,6,7 and 8.
The default position is +5V which is set to "wake up the computer from S1
sleep mode using the connected USB devices". Seems clear I have to change
the position so it would be +5VSB to wake it up from S3 and S4. Since I make
the change for all 4 or 8 ports, is this possible that other USB devices
apart from keybopard may cause the system to wake-up? For expample I have a
USB printer - if I connect the printer to one of the 4 USB ports which are
set to wake-from-S3, won't it wake it up when I turn my printer on? Or
scanner? This is definetely not what I want, I only want a keyboqrd to wake
up my system.
I know that the best way is to try and see, but maybe somebody can clarify
that for me. Thanks

--
tomasz cenian tcenian at wa dot home dot pl
::::::: :::::: ::::: :::: ::: :: : .

Paul

Splendid

In article <VjImc.36394$O9.33335@news.chello.at>, "Tomasz Cenian"
<aaa@bbb.ccc.dd> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm about to build a new computer, I'm still waiting for the CPU to arrive
> so I started skimming through my Asus P4P800 SE mobo manual. Everything
> looks nice and easy except for a few little jumpers. I have a Logitech USB
> keyboard and I intend to use S3 suspend function (suspend to RAM). I want to
> be able to wake the system up for S3 using keyboard.
> On page 2-21 there is USB device wake-up info regarding two sets of jumpers
> ("USBPW12 USBPW34" and "USBPW56 USBPW78").
> "USBPW12 USBPW34" jumpers set the wake-up function for USB ports no 1,2,3
> and 4. The latter repsectvely for ports 5,6,7 and 8.
> The default position is +5V which is set to "wake up the computer from S1
> sleep mode using the connected USB devices". Seems clear I have to change
> the position so it would be +5VSB to wake it up from S3 and S4. Since I make
> the change for all 4 or 8 ports, is this possible that other USB devices
> apart from keybopard may cause the system to wake-up? For expample I have a
> USB printer - if I connect the printer to one of the 4 USB ports which are
> set to wake-from-S3, won't it wake it up when I turn my printer on? Or
> scanner? This is definetely not what I want, I only want a keyboqrd to wake
> up my system.
> I know that the best way is to try and see, but maybe somebody can clarify
> that for me. Thanks

You should only place the "wake up" devices on +5VSB. +5VSB
is not intended to supply large amounts of current. Only
equip the ports that really need a +5VSB supply, like the
pair of ports used for your keyboard and mouse.

USBPW12 x x<-->x +5VSB <--- Keyboard, Mouse on 1 and 2.
USBPW34 x<-->x x +5V <--- Other USB devices
USBPW56 x<-->x x +5V <--- Other USB devices
USBPW78 x<-->x x +5V <--- Other USB devices

Occasionally, there will be USB devices that don't seem to
initialize correctly, and sometimes it helps to run them
from +5VSB, so that those devices are fully powered before
the BIOS starts doing any USB bus reset operations. Otherwise,
run your USB peripherals from +5V.

HTH,
Paul