ASUS P5B deluxe & RAID problems

Blouge

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
I'm having a few problems with the ASUS P5B deluxe motherboard and RAID; does anyone else see these kinds of problems?

1. I had a RAID volume set up and then wanted to turn SMART off to improve performance, and because the SMART results are totally hidden from Windows and useless when RAID is used. I rebooted and set the SATA mode to IDE, then rebooted again and turned smart drive off, and then rebooted again and set SATA mode back to RAID. The problem is that the Intel Storage Matrix driver sits there for a couple of minutes at boot time and even longer if I press Ctrl-I. It eventually gets to Windows fine so I don't think I hurt my RAID volume at all, I think the BIOS just insists on checking SMART even when it's disabled. If I turn SMART back on the huge pause disappears.

2. The Intel Storage Matrix driver says that my disks are SATA Generation 1 (1.5 Gb/s) when they should be Generation 2 (3 Gb/s). The disks are Seagate 400 GB SATA 2. I have no idea how to fix this, is it just a limitation when using RAID?

Blouge

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
3. Also, if I use SATA RAID instead of AHCI, does that mean that NCQ is disabled? Does that mean my drives could be faster with AHCI than with RAID 0?