ASUS P5GZ-MX: Anyone know if it will recognize more than 2GB of RAM?

squierjosh

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Hi all. I've got an older motherboard that ASUS lists 2 GB as maximum RAM. However, those specs were written a long time ago, before more RAM was common. Has anyone been able to install more than 2GB on this motherboard?

Warsam71

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Well, to be completely honest with you, and after looking up the specs I'm pretty sure is not possible. Even it if was, I think you'd probably go through more trouble trying to make it work than just buying a new motherboard that officially supports, say more than 4GB. Similar motherboards are reasonably prices (i.e. between 40 to 80 USD), which make a good solution. Just my two cents...I hope you agree :)

Yes it is true, but you need to know the MB has the 945GZ chipset http://ark.intel.com/products/27722/Intel-82945GZ-Memory-Controller and if you can't get the BIOS update, the MB may not recognize more than 2GB per slot too. You can try to use the 4GB single stick, it may work but if you try to use the 8Gb total you may be out of luck. I recommend to borrow the RAM from your friend and try it before you buy the new RAM.

squierjosh

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
You're probably right. 2GB is probably ok for what I'm using the PC for, streaming shows online and watching videos from the hard drive. I don't play games or do hardcore video editing with it.

user121

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Yes P5GZ-MX will recognize more than 2 GB ram.
I have tested with 2 x 2 GB DDR2 533 Mhz modules and they ran correctly in dual channel. So I confirm that it can run 4 GB ram. Above that I am not sure, probably not.
Bios used 0901