Asus P5K vs P5K Deluxe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bungee91

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Yeah a 50% overclock seems like a lot, but honestly those cores are very capable of running at 3.0Ghz. Most of the reviews show doing it without any voltage increase either. Certainly nothing is guaranteed but it is very common.
What I don't understand is other than the 10 multiplier why people are starting to choose the 4400 over the 4300, as the price difference is around $30 and really you are getting the same thing. I would think the 4400 may be a better binned chip but still I am doubting there is any real difference.

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
No, I'm well aware the mobo can support it FSB wise, but the chip might not. It is a 1Ghz overclock after all..

Can anyone guess the life expectancy of the following:

i) E4400 chip not overclocked
ii) E4400 chip OC very slightly, no increase to voltage
iii) E4400 chip OC to 3 GHz, no increase to voltate (if possible)
iv) E4400 chip OC to 3 GHz+, increase to voltate

I have no idea myself, but it would be great to get some input from some of the experienced people on this forum. As long as the chip would last 2 years or so, I'd be happy.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
That's something impossible to even estimate. Here's what you don't want:

1: A large Delta T i.e. >20 degrees
2: Prolonged temps above 60C

So there you have it, avoid those, and you'll likely have a CPU that will last at least 2 years, and possibly much longer.

Hathorian

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
That is good to know. Do I have to install special hardware in order to determine the temperature of the CPU or does the mobo have this built in?

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
The CPU has built-in temperature systems integrated into both cores. Proper reading of these temps depends on the motherboard. Some bios revs give funky temps. Some programs read the temperature readings differently as well, so it's a good idea to use a variety.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
No, I'm well aware the mobo can support it FSB wise, but the chip might not. It is a 1Ghz overclock after all..

I have no idea myself, but it would be great to get some input from some of the experienced people on this forum. As long as the chip would last 2 years or so, I'd be happy.

It really depends on the cooling that you use, also the vcore that you use. I can tell that anything higher than 1.55vcore in 24/7 operation decreases a lot the cpu life.

And why people choose the E4400, higher OC guaranteed somehow? 10 multiplier which makes it easier on some motherboard to OC?

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

From what I know, the difference in lifespan between an Overclocked CPU and a CPU at stock is 7 years to 10 years, too long to make much of a difference. As long as you use proper cooling, and avoid high temps you should be OK.

A great budget cooler is the ACF7P or Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for $30-35

bungee91

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Ok WAY off topic from what the thread is but I wanted to continue with what we were discussing.

I am not disagreeing but the whole logic doesn't make sense to me.

Mainly in the example of an overclocked chip running the stock voltage, with good cooling (more or less temps in an acceptable range) and saying the lifespan will decrease. I wouldn't see why the lifespan would go down any when compared to a higher marketed chip with the same core, I mean the only real differences would be the multiplier and possibly a better binned chip.
I do understand it would be operating at a higher frequency than it was released at, but it is still the same core.

Any thoughts here or am I completely nuts?
I know the 43/4400 are allendale cores, vs. conroe so I am not saying that directly.